1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Mom Rotti isn't looking after her pups

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by cweir, Jul 27, 2009.

1. cweir

cweir New Member

Please can someone help me?! Our 2½ year old Rottweiler had her first litter on Thursday evening (23rd July). She had 10 pups and everything seemed to go fine, she cleaned the pups and let them feed. They are indoors with a heater to keep them all warm. Unfortunately one pup (who was smaller than the rest) did not make it through the night and we presumed that it was the runt and nature had taken its course. However things have gone from bad to worse! The next day, Friday evening, another two pups were not feeding and she kept pushing them away from her. We tried bottle feeding them but perhaps it was too late as they both died that night. Saturday afternoon we found another dead pup, followed by another on Sunday. So she’s let 5 pups die and I can’t understand why?! We have resorted to locking her in the room with the pups as she seemed to not spend enough time with them - when she has the chance to leave them, she does (she even broke through the window to get out the room). We let her out every few hours for a half-hour break and then put her back inside with them. Unfortunately this does not force her to actually look after them, and we have found her sitting by the door inside of lying with them. However, when we removed one of the dead pups she came to me and gently took it out of my hand, and took it back to the box with her. Unfortunately my husband & I both work but we check on the pups as often as possible (my husband goes home during the day) and the remaining 5 pups all seem healthy and strong but I’m worried that it’s just a matter of time. Any advice? Why doesn’t she want to look after them? Is she just a ‘bad mother’? Is it just a coincidence that all the dead pups have been females? We initially thought that perhaps 10 puppies was just too much for her. I really hope someone can help…

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

many cats won't accept being mothers either...I would assume, like people, there are animals that just don't care enough to be parents. I would definitely make this her last litter!!!
    Time to start feeding/caring for them before she lets them all perish.
    Get some puppy formula and some puppy bottles. Also contact a vet for care of the newborns.

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

There could be several things going wrong. The litter could have hepititis or something else and she knows there is something wrong OR she's just a young experianced mother. Either way You should definately make a trip to the vet. Invest in some replacement milk and bottles you're gonna need them it sounds like.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Most Rottweilers are just not natural born mothers.
    I do not want to sound like i am having a go but it has to be said, If you knew you and your husband would be out alot then would it not have been better to have her spayed so this could not happen.
    Sorry if that comes across as rude, But if you had done your research you would have found that this can and usually does happen..

Another reason could be the fact there was something wrong with the litter like with cats they will not look after sick or weak babies..

When a dog has a litter someone needs to be with them all the time for the first couple of weeks to make sure they are feeding and being looked after.
    Usually and i know this sounds awful holding down the mother a couple of times till she gets used to feeding them is usually enough to make her take care of her litter..
    Bottle feeding if you do not know what your doing is futile as if it goes down the wrong way you drown the pup as the fluid fills the lungs.

I never recommend bottle feeding to anyone that does not know what they are doing...

I am really sorry for the loss as its hard in any situation..
    Again sorry if i come across as blunt and rude that was not my intention..

Mike

5. cweir

cweir New Member

Thanks for the advice

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments. I’m not offended, I appreciate the honest advice. We did the best we could in the situation - unfortunately she was pregnant when we got her - but having her spayed is definitely on the cards! Pleased to report that the remaining 5 pups are healthy and content, as the Mom is finally being a mother!

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I am glad you did not take offence as that was not my intention..

I am really pleased she is looking after the remaining 5 and they are doing well.
    I bet that is a huge relief for you.

I now have a 6 week old rottweiler puppy she is adorable a pain in the backside but still adorable..

Please keep us informed of how things are going.. Oh as pups grow increase moms food if she will eat more as larger pups demand more and her body will have to keep up with making milk..

Mike