1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Moving Question...Least Stressful Way?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by PilotKitten, Dec 16, 2004.

1. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

Sorry I haven't been around much lately...title explains it all. :)

But anyway....I have a question.

I've got most of the small stuff over to the new apt...and movers are coming tomorrow to take all the large pieces of furniture that won't fit in my little Cavalier....the bed, bookshelves, desk, tables, couch, dresser, etc.

The cats are still here with me in the old apt. By the end of tomorrow I want everything that's here moved over to the new place...including the cats.

My question is this...should I keep them in a room at the old apt while the movers are moving (thus keeping them in a "safe" spot for them with all the noise and people they don't know)....take them over to the new apt and keep them in a room while the movers are moving (giving them time to start sniffing around and getting used to the place...but perhaps not feel "safe" with all the noise in a new place)?

It also compounds the fact that Molly has a vet appt right after the movers are done. And I only have one carrier so I have to take them in two trips...unless I let Aoisha roam all over the car (it's a short trip and he behaves well enough if he's not in the carrier). And while Aoisha's okay with car trips (he meows loudly but that's it) Molly's a bit more stressed about them (she poops in the carrier).

Also, they're starting to finally like each other (at least well enough to groom the other and play instead of fight) so perhaps keeping them together would help?

Keep them both at old apt., movers move (and I go with them with Aoisha), come back take Molly to vet, and then we all are at new place?

Keep them both at new apt., movers move, take Molly to vet, and bring back to new place?

I have no clue...I just want them to be the least stressed out as possible about this.

2. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Personally? I'd keep them in a room at the old apt while the move is going on. Less stress that way. Then once you have some things in place and some of their scented furniture in the new place, bring them over there. JMHO

3. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

Most of their stuff is at the new place. Except for my chair (Molly's), my office chair (Aoisha's), and my couch (both theirs)....I don't know why I even bother calling it "MINE" anymore. :roll:

But yeah I get what you're saying....lots of noise and people they don't know...it would probably be better for them to stay here...where they're used to.

So...keep them both here, movers move stuff over to new place, I come back and pick them both up, drop Aoisha off, take Molly to vet, come back to new place and we're all there?

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. :D I suppose I'm a bit late for this post, but a bit of Rescue Remedy would have been good for your kitties to help mellow them out. Let us know how the moving went and how your kitties are doing.

5. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

Well, to be fair, I was a bit late in posting it...the day before no less! :oops:

6. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

HI PILOTKITTEN!!

weve missed you!! :p

good luck in the move. i agree with cassie and chess. keep them in the familiar house as long as possible...even if there is no furniture. they know the smell better than the new apt. even the walls are familiar to them.

let us know how they adjust.

feliway helps too...

7. vene

vene New Member

Good luck on the move! I'd keep Feliway and Bach's remedy handy.

8. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

Thanks guys...well they're all here at the new place. Molly's still hiding under the bed and Aoisha's just having a ball...he's real good with moving (I've moved him 4 times in 3 years and he's fine with it...hates the ride over in the carrier though).

The only "bad" thing that happened today was that I had them in a room at the old house when the movers came over and Molly somehow opened up a crawlspace opening in the closet and ended up under the bathroom tub!

Thank God I got her out in time for her vet appt. Oh and Negative on the FIV and Leukemia bloodwork. :y_the_best:

I didn't think she had anything but I didn't have any vet records from her previous owner so I started anew.

9. vene

vene New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: Poor Molly. Give her some time and she'll come out of her shell.

10. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

That's always a huge relief to get a negative test result. :eek: I'm glad everyone is doing okay. :D