1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My cat is sick

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by dareofficer, Jul 5, 2004.

1. dareofficer

dareofficer New Member

My cat will be 16, on 07-27-2004. He has always been a healthy cat. Just less than 2 weeks ago he was running in the yard and playing with another one of my cats. Last week he had an extreme weight loss. He would sleep in the bath tub at night. His stomach looks bloated, but you can see how much weith he has lost. I took him to a vet, who by only looking at him said he had cancer and we needed to put him to sleep. I said no, and returned home with him. Over the weekend he started to eat again, and drinking small amounts of water. I can't understand how he could have gotten cancer that quick, and loose that much weight. He has been with my wife and I since we were married, and he is a family member to me. I know if he is sick and he does die, he lived a long life. I refuse to put him to sleep when I think there is a chance. I have a link to a picture on the day the vet said to put him to sleep. Does this sound like a problem any of you have ever had?
    http://homepage.mac.com/dareofficer/abner.htm

2. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that Abner isn't doing well. He sure is a beautiful cat. I'm afraid I can't offer much insight into what is specifically happening with the little guy, but I really think you should get a second opinion and really get a firm handle on what exactly is happening with him before you consider putting him to sleep. If he was doing fine 2 weeks ago, it's hard to believe that his cancer symptoms would come on so suddenly and require immediate euthanasia, but I'm certainly no expert. Your vet didn't even do blood tests or anything? I find that odd, but I'm sort of new to the whole world of vets myself.

Another vet may pick up on something the first one missed. I would personally never consider ending any living creature's life without being 100% certain that it was the only good option, so I would take Abner to another vet ASAP. Find the best one in the area, maybe a place that specializes in cats if such a place exists, and ask them to do some tests. Blood work may show the presence (or lack thereof) of abnormal levels of white blood cells or other blood components that could indicate or help to rule out cancer. Of course, this is all just my opinion, and I don't know as much about cats as do the regulars around here, so maybe they'll have better advice for you.

I'm wishing the best for you and Abner, this must be so hard for all of you. No matter what happens, he's a really lucky guy to have such a loving family that has given him so much love for 16 years!

3. vene

vene New Member

I agree with Lunaguy. I'd get a second opinion and have bloodwork done. When our Pooky had kidney failure, he had gradual weight loss and it was noticeable. Abner is a beautiful cat, thank you for sharing. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

4. searamab

searamab New Member

My boyfriend and I took home a kitten two months ago who's previous owners thought she had a cold. It turned out she had FIP, which is a mutated version of the corona virus some cats get when they're very young. The symptoms our kitten had were a potbelly, loss of appetite, weight loss, blood in the urine, and anemia. It's most common among kittens, but our vet said she had seen it in a cat as old as ten. It's a rare disease, except in multiple cat households, and the fatality rate is high for cats with FIP. It sounds possible Abner might have it, especially since he's outdoor, but again it's said to be a rare disease.
    I hope your cat gets better; it sounds like he's lived a long and happy life. You should definitely go for a second opinion, but don't forget what's best for Abner. God Bless

5. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hi dareofficer. what beautiful pictures of both of your kitties. i love the name abner....

well...my first thought was kidneys also. and i support the second opinion idea and bloodwork. at his age, it could be diabetes, or thyroid problems...a myriad of possibilites.

he is just beautiful. my otis was an orange tabby. he died on march 17 at almost 20 years. i believe around 16 he had to be put on kidney food...because his blood tests showed elevations in his kidney levels. or...maybe he got into something toxic outside...

good luck to you. and the other kitty...the F2 bengal. is he your kitty? he is beautiful. i have a brown marble bengal, and vene (who posted earlier has a marble bengal). bellack1 has a kitty that we think has snow bengal or ocicat blood.

anyway...please keep us updated

6. nern

nern New Member

I am suprised that the vet said cancer just by looking at him?? Sounds strange to me....I would definately get a second opinion.

7. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I agree with the other posters about getting a second opinion. Although he is a beautiful cat and seems very loved, he is very thin in the pics. Perhaps another vet can help him to get well or at the very least make him more comfortable with whatever condition he has. I wish your kitty all the best and please do keep us posted on how he is doing. He seems like a wonderful cat.

8. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. My Milo just passed away on June 27th at the age of 13. I believe he too had cancer although it was never officially diagnosed. Abner lived a happy and full life with all the love you gave him. My thoughts are with you.

Megan

9. nern

nern New Member

Abner was a beautiful cat. I'm very sorry for your loss. :cry:

10. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

How come people are saying, 'sorry for your loss?' I don't see anywhere that says that their cat passed away. Did I miss something?

11. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

Click on the link from the first post. :-(

12. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

i just read it too...goodness...i just get so deeply sad. i am really trying to hold back the tears. it just is so sad. breaks my heart. :cry:

dareofficer...i am so very sorry for your loss...little abner...i think he was loved very much by you...i can tell.

my sincerest regrets, lynn and max.

here is a link to a pet bereavement website. there is a candle lighting ceremony every monday evening for all the pets that have died. there are many pet bereavement websites, but i liked this one. www.petloss.com/ - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

i put a memorial up for otis when he died at:http://www.in-memory-of-pets.com/ that was very healing. i just went back to look at it. made me cry like a baby... :(

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Return to the Pet Loss Grief Support Website

13. vene

vene New Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. :cry: We buried Venus last July in our backyard by the arborvites where she loved to roam. I'd like to think they are in a better place now, resting comfortably, playing all the time, just without us.

14. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. :cry: Your kitty was lucky to be so loved for so long. A lot of us have lost a fur animal and it's such a huge loss. It's so tough. Hang in there. :cry: