1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My hamster perfeers to eat cardboard... health issue?

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by Trickster, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Trickster

Trickster New Member

usually i throw in a toliet paper role in the cage, he eats most of it rather then play in it, and after putting one in, i come back, to see it mostly eaten, and the food bowl still mostly full (after about period of 3 or more days)

So should i be concerned about feeding him cardboard from toilet paper roles? Is it dangerous for his system?

He still eats food but mainly on the roles....
    i limit him to 1 role per 2 weeks....

Any info would be good

2. Bente

Bente New Member

I would stop giving him the roles if I were you. I don't know if it's harmful, but I can imagine it is. Better safe than sorry anyways... If he doesn't eat his food you should contact your vet.

Good luck :)

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Hes a fine healthy hamster, but he just loves chewing his teeth down on a piece of carboard rather then food (He still eats, just not as much cuz he flls up on cardboard)

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

If he's eating cardboard and not his food he's not getting the nutrients that his body needs. I would take the rolls away.

5. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Well the other one is pretty much gone, just a lil bit left, so ill let him have a lil bit more pleasure, and he wont recive another role :( poor guy

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

You could always cut the rolls and give him a piece of the roll once a week or so.

7. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

He's actually consuming entire rolls??? not just chewing them up real tiny for bedding? Thats what my mouse does. She gets a new roll every time i clean her cage, but if you look closely in her bedding box, you can see the bits of chewed up TP roll mixed in with her grass bedding. Has your little guy had any weight change when you offer the rolls or take them away? I'm wondering if he's just workin his jaw so much on the roll that he doesnt feel like eating as much. But i agree...if you can find no trace of the roll and are certain that he's eating them, take em away. You can give him hard foods to chew on instead, like dried macaroni.