1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

MY MALTEPOO SHEDS...IS IT NORMAL??

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Grazzysantos, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Grazzysantos

Grazzysantos New Member

My maltepoo is about 4 months old...and he sheds a lot....
    the other hing that i am not sure of is how often i should feed him....?

2. madeline

madeline New Member

I have a 6 month old Maltipoo and she doesnt shed, maltese and poodles dont shed, you may have something else mixed in there with your pup. Thats the trouble with cross breeds you never know what you are going to get, my friend got a shitzu/bichon cross, it shed like crazy and looks more like a pom.

As far as feeding go by the recommendations on the bag, it depends on how much the pup weight etc. Some bags go on adult weight but that can be abit tricky with cross breeds, but you can get a rough idea. Madeline gets a cup of Royal Canine 33 a day, 1/2 in morning and 1/2 in evening.
    she has been having that since about 4 months.

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Sorry folks. As a groomer, let me assure you that ALL dogs shed. A hair goes through a growth cycle until it's mature. Then it enters a resting phase. After that, it falls out and a new hair begins to develop. Short hairs will shed sooner than long hairs, simply because they don't grow for as long a period of time. But it doesn't matter if it's Maltese hair or Doberman hair, once it reaches it's maximum maturity, it falls out.

The major difference with Poodles and some other so-called nonshedding breeds is that they have no undercoat. Undercoat sheds a lot sooner than guard hair, so dogs with undercoat shed a lot more. Another reason people think Poodles and similar breeds don't shed is because the coat sheds into itself, rather than onto your furniture. When the mature hair falls out, it gets trapped by the other hairs still growing. That's one thing that leads to matting. If you don't brush and comb to remove those hairs on a regular basis, you end up with a matted mess.

In addition, puppies can go through a couple of shedding phases as they change from puppy coat to adult coat. This can create especially bad matting, and you must pay close attention to the coat if you intend to keep it long. They will also shed more if they're stressed.

Artificial light will also trigger seasonal shedding. It fools the dog's system into thinking it's eternally spring, and time to shed that winter coat.

The last concideration is diet. If the diet does not contain sufficient fats and protien, the hair is going to shed a lot more. A premium food will give you a premium coat, so don't be cheap in the food department.

But honestly, all dogs shed. Regular grooming will help, but nothing will stop it.

4. maoui

maoui New Member

I agree, maltipoo don't shed. That is why you have to groom them. Their hair continuously grow like humans, like us they loose a few hair but not enough to be called shed. Just like humans, their hair grow enough to need a grooming, others dogs who really shed never need a grooming.
    So if your maltipoo shed, obviously it is mixed with another breed since maltese and poodle never shed.

5. Bonjo

Bonjo New Member

shedding problems with Malti-poo?

If your dog is of the non-shedding variety and is dropping hair, the problem may be more of diet or stress than of some other breed in the mix. New puppies will under go some stress in their new homes...training from humans, environmental issues, contact allergies, new foods, etc. Make sure you are feeding your pup a quality pet food sans preservatives and dyes. Severely limit the variety of foods you give your pup for a while as the pup settles into their new home and new rules. Long haired dogs require far more grooming too. We do a daily brush on our little TeddyBear (Bichon/ShihTzu mix)and she loves the attention. Her coat is silky soft and she truly doesn't shed a lick!