1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My mom's dog has a slipped disk...

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by HDrydr, May 2, 2008.

1. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

My mom has a 1 1/2 year old King Charles Spaniel and he has a slipped disk in his back. Vet gave him anti-inflammatory meds and said lets give him a few weeks and see how he is. My mom thinks that he has had some back issues since he was a baby. They tell her that only surgery can fix this, but has major risks like loosing his feeling in his feet and paralysis to name a few. She is afraid of the surgery and wonders if there may be other options..... She also thinks that surely they could have given him some pain control..... He is now not allowed to jump or go up the stairs, that keeps him from being up with my mom and keeps him from being where he likes to be. Poor guy!! any suggestions..... :cry:

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Has you mom considered acupuncture or even finding an animal chiropractor?

I think it would defiantly be worth a shot as an alternative to surgery, but definitely find someone that is certified.

Here's a site where you can look for doctors in your area (or worldwide) that are certified in animal chiropractic.

http://www.avcadoctors.com/

My aunt had a dog with a slipped disk that the vet told her would be an ongoing problem that they could only treat with pain meds as she wanted to stay away from surgery because of the risks involved. She took her dog for a few sessions with a chiropractor and the change was almost instantaneous, she seemed happier, more active and my aunt hasn't heard her yelp in pain in quite some time.

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I told her to consider acupuncture we will see how he does in a week with the meds and see where to go from there.... Thanks for the site.