1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need advise on helping my bird through a heatwave

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Fagan, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Fagan

Fagan New Member

Hi,

We are currently experiencing a heatwave in this country, and I would like some advise as to how i can keep my "boy" cool. I am noticing that he sits on the perch, lifts his wings away from his body and his beak is open like he is panting.

I assume that he is hot, and this is while he is in the house, can i run a oscillating fan around him, or will this make him ill.

He is not overly fond of water, although i do spray him with water when he decides to dive into his water bowl, and then i create a type of swimming pool for him - I do watch him - any other ideas that will assist with the problem. I need some idea that i can do for him while i am at work, and that it's safe for him and won't pose a safety issue whilst i'm out the house, unfortunately i cannot leave him outside in the shade with a bit of a breeze on him - "Cats in the complex", so during the day he's inside which is rather hot.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

You can run a fan along as its not blowing straight at him at a close distance as this will cause him to chill.

If possible i would try placing his cage near a window but out of direct sunlight and leave the window open a little so some cold air is circulating see if that helps.

Him raising his wings away from his body is his way of trying to stay cool

Mike