1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need help keeping dog from removing her e-collar.....

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Kasparsmama, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Kasparsmama

Kasparsmama New Member

On February 2nd, my 4 year old Rottweiler had a 9 pound fatty tumor removed from her side. In result of that she now has a 15 inch long incision and drain tube. She went back on Monday to get her drain tube removed, but they decided to leave it in, because she was draining alot. This whole time Keno has had to suffer with the dreaded e-collar. Tuesday I woke up, and went in the room to check on her, and her e-collar was laying on the ground. I also noticed that her drain tube was missing. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I thought she ate it. Got her into the vet, and they had to put her back under to insert a new drain tube. They also had to make an incision to remove the old drain tube, as somehow she had tug it down enough for it to become hidden. This whole time, her stitches have been healing very nicely, and even started to scab over.

Fast forward to today. I heard a noise, and I went to investigate. She had somehow gotten the darn thing off again licked all the scabs of off her stitches. I think she also may have popped one or two of her stitches in the process. Now my problem is, she is to have that collar on until her stitches come out. The stitches for the surgery should be coming out in the next few days as long as they are healing well. However she has a few new stitches that she has to keep in for 10 days. Hopefully her drain tube should be coming out tomorrow, since I am pretty sure she is done draining. Nothing comes out when I massage the area that the vet told me to. I have no idea how to keep her from taking it off.

I am losing sleep over this, and having nightmares. Not only do we love her to death, but this surgery was in no way cheap. I don't wan't her messing up all of the doctor's wonderful work. As it is she is scratching it, which I can't prevent. When we picked her up after her 3 day stay, they had made doggy shackles for her, in an effort to keep her from scratching. Needless to say, it didn't work. I know she doesn't like the collar, and I know she is upset because she has to be confined to one room. She doesn't like not being able to sleep with the kids, and keeping an eye on them. I wish I could explain it to her, that this is for her own good. Honestly I think she is doing it, just so she can go back to the vet. lol She loves the vet's office more than any other dog, I have ever seen.

She goes tomorrow, to hopefully get her drain removed. At least after that we will be one step closer to all of this being over with. My ears are open to all of your suggestions, and I appreciate them in advance.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member