1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Neon Tetra Question

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Obelix, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Hi,

Ive always liked them and wanted something easy so I bought 8 neon tetras for my 2 gallon room tank, so far everythings excellent. I've got a heater which keeps it almost always at 78 degress, but I was wondering if their were any other fish that would 1. Be okey in such a tiny tank and 2. not eat my tetras? I also have a small undergravel filter and bubbler.

Thanks

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

No. Your tank is already way overstocked. 8 neon tetras need at least 5 gallons. In a 2 gallon tank you could keep maybe 3, but they wouldn't be very happy because they prefer to be in large groups. Also if you didn't cycle the tank first, you will probably end up losing some of the neons to ammonia poisoning.

-Chelle

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

:cry:

Well my parents wont let me have anything bigger then two gallons until i manage to prove I can take care of theese so im off to a bad start. Do you have any suggestions to what would be better suited in a 2 gallon tank or is it just 2 small to be workign with to begin with? IT was previously cycled so ive got a good bit of benicical baterica and when i tested this mornining their is not a problem with the ammonia. yet. The tetras seem alright and still school togather but any suggetions would be grate. My brother killed about 5 gold fish in a 1 gallon bowel, when we tested the ammonia was thur the roof and he used (of all things) marbles on the bottom, so i suspect thats why my parents are not beaing very allowing on the size of my tank. Thanks a bunch for you adivce

4. tina1

tina1 New Member

You could put a betta in it, but even he won't be very happy in such a small tank. If you keep an eye on things and don't skimp on water changes they should be ok. Probably not the happiest fish in the world but then at least you will have proved that you can care for them and maybe you will be able to get a bigger tank. The hard thing with most small fish is that since they like to school they need lots of swimming space to do it in.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Well that's really good that you already know about cycling. :y_the_best:

Really the only thing a 2 gallon is good for is a betta.

-Chelle

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

One of my dads clients apprentally breeds and sells fish and he agreed to keep my tetras in a tank with others in their earliest stages so I no longer have thoes. Does anyone know if I should remove the heater before putting the beta in the tank? thanks for the idea tina1 :y_the_best:

7. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Whenever I take on a hobby I generally do a lot of research

8. tina1

tina1 New Member

That's great that you do research! Not only does it help out our swimming friends but it makes it much easier on the wallet! I would leave the heater in with the betta. They can do without but he'd probably be happier having a nice stable temp. Also look into getting him a couple of live plants, I've noticed that bettas are usually much more active when they have plants to swim through. Try and stay away from plastic ones though because they can tear your bettas fins and he can get stuck in them. Good luck!

9. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Well I looked around at walmart and got 2 small but live plants but did not buy a beta from them, they looked rather unhealthy and they had them in extremely dirty bait/butter cups so im gonna look at "ricks pet & supplies tomorow" thanks for all your help.