1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New dog (3 years old) is biting new people

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by dkidzni, May 7, 2010.

1. dkidzni

dkidzni New Member

I adopted a dog from a family where the mom was ill and also had a youngster and a newborn. The dog is half shitzu half bison. She is perfect - housebroken, affectionate, doesn't tear up things or go through the trash, can stay long periods alone, BUT when ANY new person comes around she growls and bars. I have to give everyone directions on how to approach her and ignore her until she is alright with them in my home. Once she is then she stays okay. But in my home and on the street she does that and twice she has bit people. I believe that this behavior went on before since it happened when I went to get her and the woman told me the same instructions and then said it is worse with men. She doesn't seem like an alpha personality or exhibiting alpha behavior, it seems protective. She does listen and mostly obeys commands but when a new person comes in view she starts with this behavior. Once the person has been through this she doesn't do it the next time they come around. Any suggestions or is this a big mistake on my part?

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

perhaps crate her until she is comfortable with strangers. My dog can be like that except being a German Shepherd I'd get sued. I do muzzle her until I see her body posture is relaxing around strangers.
    It's usually more of a fear issue than protective issue with a dog reacts like that.