1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New hear and new puppy problem....

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by catherine7579, Apr 7, 2004.

1. catherine7579

catherine7579 New Member

Hi, I just got a puppy (yellow lab) ive had him for a few weeks he's 9 weeks old and for the past two weeks hes been going on short walks with me . Then all of a sudden about 3 days ago he stopped going. He just sits there and when i pull on his leash he cries. Hes now gotten to the point that he just makes it out the door to go potty. The weird thing is yesterday he did walk for a LONG time because i met neighbors with a well trained German Shepard and my puppy (Ben) ran all over the place with him. Now today again Ben wont walk. Should i be concerned?? Its so fustrating since he use to walk and now he just cries and pulls back home. Please if someone could give me advice im a first time dog owner at my wits end!! Thank you.
    Catherine :? :(

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

There might be something phyiscally wrong with him. Not trying to scare you but my granparents rott got hip displacia (sp?) at a very young age and they were not sure what was wrong so after a few weeks they took her to the vet and she had to have a corrective surgury. I would give your vet a call and see what they have to say.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

my guess would also be hips. Our GSD was 12 weeks old when we got her and we knew almost immediately she had hip dysplasia. She preferred sitting to walking....she wouldn't walk very far either. Couldn't run for very long. And we could hear her hips clicking when she walked.

Does your puppy sit with his backside at an angle? Do you notice any difficulty getting up from a laying position. Does he ever bite at his back legs?

We waited and had Sadie's hips x-rayed when we had her spayed at 6 mos. of age and by then her left ball joint was nearly gone.

4. catherine7579

catherine7579 New Member

The thing is Ben (puppy) runs around like a regular puppy in the house and just last night with the other dog ran around outside just fine. I havent noticed any change in the way he sits or anything abnormal like that. Do you think it might be possible that Im wearing him out??? Or that im taking him out to often???? Thats what the vet tech said when i called ealier today. problem is, everytime i take him out he goes potty. I am taking him out pretty often, but could that be the reason???

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

did anything scare him outside??

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It's probably just a stage he is going through. A lot of puppies refuse to walk for no good reason. Take treats out with you, or a favorite toy. Jump around and use a happy, excited voice to lure him into walking. Or, pick him up and carry him a few houses down and then walk back to the house with him. A lot of pups will only walk if they know they are going home.

Inside, get him used to walking with you without the lead. Carry a treat by your side and dispense one every once in a while. Practice going slow and fast and have him match his pace to yours. Then try the leash inside.

It sounds like normal puppy behavior to me. They are strange little critters. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Jamiya

7. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi sorry to be a pain but i am guessing since he is only 9weeks old he has not had all his shots, This being the case he should not be out walking and should definatly not be around other dogs.

At 9weeks old there walk should be 10minutes 2twice aday adding an extra 5minutes a week.
    Walking to far with a puppy can cause a muscle mass in there legs which in turn causes pain.

Walking him around the backyard will get him used to walking with no problems on the leash and aslong as you make it fun to go out he will soon learn leash means fun outside.

Like jamiya stated treats also work wonders there every dog owners saviour as they seem to get the dog to do things that they will not for us lol

Good luck and dont worry he will soon be annoying you wanting to go for walks lol

Mike