1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

new parakeets still not eating...

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Ashly0507, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Ashly0507

Ashly0507 New Member

i purchased two parakeets almost four days ago, I see the female at the food and water dish constantly , but the male doesnt move from his perch to eat or drink... the only way he moves is IF he gets spooked. PLEASE help. Also the female (bonnie) keeps biting at (male) Clydes backside. Is this normal? :?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

If your male hasn't been eating or drinking at all for 4 days then by all means he should probably be long dead by now. Chances are you're probably just not seeing him eat or drink, especially if you're near the cage expecting him to do these things he may still no be comfortable enough around you just yet to go about his day to day business.

Since you just go them 4 days ago they're still going through their adjustment period. Whenever I bring a new bird home I usually allow them time to just get used to the new surroundings. No trying to take them out, no standing close to the cage and staring (which is tempting when you have a new bird). Just leave them alone to get adjusted, especially to people and local traffic.

As far as the biting goes, is she drawing blood or pulling out feathers? It could just be that's she's helping him preen or perhaps just a "back off" nip.

3. Ashly0507

Ashly0507 New Member

Is she bullying him

I thought that was an awfully long time to not eat or drink. But I havent had a bird in years. So thank you for that. As far as the biting, no she is not pulling feathers or making him bleed. While he is on his perch she comes u to him and bites at his back side. He stays clear of her for the most part.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I agree wth Aqueous, if he has not eaten for 4 days he would either have died or very weak and ill.
    He could be eating and drinking first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

As for you female biting him, its what most females do to see if the male is worthy of her. she will eventually back off and leave him alone.

Give them time to adjust and see how they get on. I wouldnt worry too much about the male unless he starts looking weak, then he will need to see an avian vet asap..

Mike