1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New to the horse world (sort of)

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by ga_girl03, Sep 24, 2004.

1. ga_girl03

ga_girl03 New Member

Hi. I am 19 years old and I have decided that I want to own a horse when my fiance and I get a house with some land. I am a beginner (I've only been on horses twice) and my fiance is a beginner also. I was wondering what type of horse would be a good horse for us (we would LIKE to get two so that we can ride together and also so that the horses won't be lonely while in pasture). I would like a horse that will average 15.2hh. Our main interest with horses is pleasure riding (my family has 3500 acres of farmland that we can ride on) and we are not interested in breeding or showing of any sort. Could someone please give me suggestions as to what kind and age of horse to look for?
    I was also going to add that my mother and uncle owned horses when they were younger (my grandmother has a farm) so I do have people in my family who know a little about horses.

2. OTTB lvr

OTTB lvr New Member

You should look into Paints and Quarter Horses. Those are both steady, reliable breeds that do well on trails, but also in the ring, should you ever want to do some ring time. I would say at least 5 years old, but make sure they have the training into them to that point that you are looking for in your horses (like, don't buy a trail prospect who hasn't been out on the trails)

3. someday

someday New Member

I would also reccommend Quarter Horses. 5 years I would say is a minimum for what you are wanting even a horse up into their teens would be just fine. For safety's sake I would encourage you to find a trainer to just help you get your feet on the ground when you first get your horses.

4. 5 year old horse for a beginner? Hmm, well actually I would recomend 10+ just because they are calmer then but it really depends on the horse. Definately stay away from Arabians and Appalosas! They are a handfull! :p Be careful and look out for people who when they show a horse off for sale, sometimes people beut(don't think I spelled that right) highstrung horses for an easy sale. Good Luck!

5. OTTB lvr

OTTB lvr New Member

lol I'll agree with you on the 10+, sometimes that factor just seems to dull a bit in my mind, as I personally prefer young and green! Though, my 2 year old Paint is the quietest thing you'll come across....he does beginner lessons while bulldozers plow along next to him and doesn't even bat an eye!

6. horse_child

horse_child New Member

A good paint, QH, or appy would be wonderful. I would suggest even older than 10, like 13+ years. all depending on what the horse is like. good luck!

7. Sara

Sara New Member

One says pick Appy one does not??? Are they spooky??? Arab's tend to be spooky...stick to the "cold" horses... QH and the bigger horses (not percheron type but I think you catch my drift) I would also go the 10+ range but would do minimum of 7...don't go younger unless you come accrossed the exception.

I would also invest in some riding lessons for you and your fiance so that you can become accostomed to some of the care aspects of keeping a horse... Riding a couple times is not quite the same as owning and/or even taking lessons. Lessons and time at a stable like that will help you prepare for what you will be able to handle in terms of caring for a horse. Also if you can do lessons then you can also talk to your trainer and see if he/she can help you choose a horse or look at a horse you have in mind. An opinion from an experienced horse person can really help... I helped my mother's boss NOT pick out a nice QH...she was very nice, had good marks and a show career but her feet were TINY and she had a lameness problem... The owner of course said she CAN get lame but not often...she then took her out to the arena (luckily there was a rocky patch) and she rode the horse...I could see she was tender on the rocks...AND on the soft arena dirt... She then had me ride her...I rode her and her attitude and training were superb... My mom's boss nearly got her but I urged him to re-consider because of her feet... He is thankfull I did since he learned of bone deterioration. A third party can be objective and more knowledgeable and can really help you out if you THINK you've found the right horse but want to be extra sure...kind of like a mechanic checking out a used car.

8. Its not that Appys are spooky, they are VERY highstrung and egotistic. They tend to ignore the bit, grab hold of it, and go there own way.(Trust me! Been there, done that!)

9. horse_child

horse_child New Member

LOL same here, it took me 3 months to get my 25 year old appy to stand still while mounted. i just have a soft spot for them i guess...

10. ya_gotta_luv_em

ya_gotta_luv_em New Member

if ur just planning on pleasure riding then y not get a mixed breed horse. maybe a QH x or sumthin like that. i agree with wot evri1 else has said tho. preferbly aged 10 +, my mare i still under 10 & is a complete psyco.but luv herheaps. well good luck