1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Oddball Fish-The Most Interesting And Your Favorites

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Kirk, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Please post interresting oddball fish and their descriptions. Thanks :D

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i think arowannas are nice, but they get WAY to big (in most cases over 3')

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Not technically fish, but I like african dwarf frogs. I also like aplle snails.

For fish, I'd love to have a hillstream loach.

-Chelle

4. sleeper

sleeper New Member

African Dwarf Frogs are indeed awesome, Chelle!

But my favorite oddball fish... one that's in my 55 gal. Amazon tank... is the Black Ghost Knife. What a winner! They swim forwards and backwards, with a swervy, undulating motion, my guy, "Bowie," is so well-disposed. He's already, after only about a month, completely used to me, to the light, and he comes out to eat his bloodworms and isn't afraid of anything. Eventually I'll have him eating from my hand and juggling tinfoil balls...

(also, not oddballs, but I LOVE DISCUS!!!) ;]

5. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Yeah, I myself think that the arrowana is a very cool fish too. How big would your tank need to be to house one?

6. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Also, does anyone know of any interesting Africans? My friend has a large tank maybe around seventy gallons. He only has about six fish in it all Africans and he was wondering if there were any interesting Africans he could put in. As far as I know they are all from lake T.

7. Nameless

Nameless New Member

My favourite oddball is my senegal bichir. I looks like a cross between a snake and eel, it is a really good jumper, he slithers like a snake in and out of the tank and he looks cool and has a cool personality.

8. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

I had a Cory cat that would do laps around the tank....REALLY FAST. Not just one or two, but constantly for about 5 minutes. As fast as his little fins could take him.
    I also had a black Molly that would do laps around the heater, between the tube and the glass...I counted once, about 35 laps before he stopped.
    My blackskirts swim backward alot.

9. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

to house one? well, for a silver arrowana i think you need a 250+ gallon tank

10. sleeper

sleeper New Member

I saw an arrowana at the national aquarium this weekend (which, incidentally, is really pretty lame compared to the Baltimore aquarium).

He was awesome. A white arrowana, probably about 30-34", with a red bellied pirhana that followed it around (weird!). But I never noticed before how their eyes were turned down so they look down at the rest of the water below them.

In terms of oddballs, I also saw mudskippers -- land/water combo -- and their cousins the four-eye, which actually have two sets of lenses on their eyes so they can see above and below the water all at once.

11. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

a RBP? sounds more likely to have been a red pacu. How big was this fish? if it was larger then 12" or had a rounded off head with squarish teeth then it was a pacu.

12. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

"But I never noticed before how their eyes were turned down so they look down at the rest of the water below them. "

Arrowanas with down turned eyes are usually a result of one of two causes. Either they have been feed strictly feeder fish causing them to continually look downward for food, or they have been fed fatty foods which causes a layer of fat to build up behind the eyes forcing them to focus downward. In nature their eyes are not forced downward because they actually feed from the top of the water. The natives also call them monkey fish because they are known to leap out of the water to grab monkeys off of low overhanging tree limbs.

13. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Really? That's crazy! Where did you learn that?

14. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi sleeper, I guess you're refering to the monkey fish statement. It was a National Geographic film about fish that's been out for years. I believe it was shown on the Discovery Channel. It also had a long segment on Pacus. It shows a native fishing for Pacus for food and shows a Black Pacu that almost covers the bottom of his boat. I think it is available on video tape.

15. Kirk

Kirk New Member

That sounds pretty wicked. Where are arrowanas from anyway?

16. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

they are from south america

17. Nameless

Nameless New Member

18. Kirk

Kirk New Member

For some reason I thought that they were from Asia. Are they kind of like pike in a way? interesting*

19. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i guess the only pike-like things about them is that they can be carnivorus and also they have an elongated shape.

20. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Kirk, You are correct and so is grnlemonade. There are two varieties an Asian Arawana and a South American Arawana. They are similar in body structure. The Asian comes in several colors the most popular being the reds and golds. The South American variety comes in two colors silver and black. The Asian variety is a little more aggressive. I'll try to find some good links to post for both strains.

This link show both the South American (Osteoglossum) and the Asian and Australian (Scleropages). Asian and Australian are the same species.
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebInde ... iforms.htm

This link shows some great shots and great info on Asian Arawanas.
    http://dragonfish.com/