1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

oscar tankmates

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by fishdude, Apr 6, 2004.

1. fishdude

fishdude New Member

how many oscars could i fit in a 4 foot tank? i wanted to get 2 oscars, a texes cichled and a talking catfish(if i can find one). I think this is overcrowded but i wanted to make sure.thanks in advance.

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

It depends on what type of four foot tank. I have a tank that is four feet long and very tall. Tall tanks are called showtanks and usually have a smaller capacity than shorter tanks. Some tanks are thinner than others. 4 feet by 12 inches wide would be kind of small for oscars.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yup, we need to know the other 2 dimensions of your tank.

A 55 gallon tank (48" x 12" x 21") will only be large enough for 1 oscar.

A 75 gallon tank (48" x 18" x 21") can sometimes hold 2 oscars, but it will only work if they get along exceptionally well (even my 2 oscars who have paired off are having issues in a 75 gallon tank).

A 90 gallon tank (48" x 18" x 24") can technically handle the bioload of 3 oscars, but since it has the same footprint of the 75, you're going to have the same territorial problems as you would in the 75.

-Chelle

4. fishdude

fishdude New Member

I was hoping to get a tank 48 by 18 by 21.

5. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

i have three Oscars in my 75, i know too would be better but hay....i have three.

6. fishdude

fishdude New Member

but what about the other fish? Is it overcrowded or not? also, i was going to get them as juviniles(sorry about my spelling).

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you have 2 oscars, you can't keep a texas cichlid in that tank. That's too many large, territorial fish. I wouldn't even recommend one oscar and a texas cichlid in a 75. Although the tank wouln't be overstocked as far as bioload is concerned, I think it would be very unlikely that they would get along in such a small space.

I also don't think the talking cat would be a good idea. They only get 5 or 6 inches long so there's a chance it might get eaten.

-Chelle

8. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

my dad as a 35 gallon tank and has 2 fish in it one tiger oscar and one texes cichlid and there best freinds were ever the oscar goes he goes (the oscar is 9 inch long the texes cichlid is 5 inch long) :y_the_best:

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A 35 gallon tank is WAY too small for just one of those to fish (let alone both) to be happy and healthy. How old are the fish? What are the water parameters? How often are water changes done?

I can guarantee you that those fish will not live a full lifespan nor will they grow to their full potential. And I believe it is VERY irresponsible to recommend a set up like that.

-Chelle

10. Hooben

Hooben New Member

I can remember the day that someone put a full grown oscar in my 29 gallon tank that was cycling in the hall at work. I was astonished every time the fish would splash out about 5 gallons of water with one flip of it's fin. :shock: Apparently the fish had outgrown its home, probably a ten gallon. The owner had left me the fish and run. I never got to meet that person. I quickly took it to my LFS where they sold it to someone with a larger tank. There are many small tanks out there with big fishes living in them. We just can't say that it's healthy for the fishes. We want to try and direct you the right way to assure your success. :wink:

Take care everybody!

11. fishdude

fishdude New Member

i'v always wanted a gost knife fish. but there are so many veiws of size with this fish. could i put one of these in the tank with 1 oscar? i have a book that has them in and they say 8 inches.

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The average size I came up with for black ghost knifes was about 18" so I think technically a 75 gallon tank would be able to support the bioload of it and an oscar. The only thing I would be concerned with is temperament. Ghost knifes aresupposed to be fairly peaceful so I'm not sure if an oscar would try to beat it up or not.

-Chelle

13. Hooben

Hooben New Member

In a 75 gallon you could go ghost knife severum. I think the oscar would bully one around too much. My ghost knife will bite at anyfish that gets in its way. You need a hiding place, like a cave, for the ghost too.

14. fishdude

fishdude New Member

Thats what i thought.
    I was going to put pvc pipe in there and rock caves. I use pvc pipe for my crayfish tank. What about severums with oscars?

15. Hooben

Hooben New Member

I've never seen, nor would I recommend severums with oscars

16. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i have a weather loach AKA dojo loach with my oscars and they are all fine together. i dont know about your oscars though, it depends on how aggresive they are and the amount of room/hiding places.

17. fishdude

fishdude New Member

are lemon oscars dyed? so no severums. what about jewl cichlid or jack dempsys? so would pvc pipe be sutable?

18. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

As far as I know lemon oscars are not dyed. The only one's I've heard of are albino/lutino oscars (tiger & red color patterns) that just have yellow instead or orange.

-Chelle

19. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

I agree with whats been said. I tried to have an oscar in my 29 gallon tank with some other fish,.,....it did not work. I would imagine greater than a 55 gallon tank would be required to have more than just one oscar. Sure all my fish lived...but whats the fun if you can ony see the one fish because the rest are all hiding?

20. fishdude

fishdude New Member

what about these? in a 75 gallon, 2 oscars, 1 black banded headstander and either a kissing or giant goramie? also, sorry for being persistant, but i have never found a reliable source that tells me what i can keep with oscars. could you give me one on the net? i am also a member on oscarfish.