1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Payara care. Please help!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by JxKIM89, Jul 8, 2004.

1. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

I'm getting a few payara fish for my 30 gallon. I wanted to ask if anyone has ever taken care of them, or has any experience with them. Thank you.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I don't think that's a good idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Chelle

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

omg! thats huge! JxKIM89 are you sure you spelled it right or are talking about the right fish?

if so i dont think it would be a good idea,
    wait, are you talking about one like this?

[​IMG]

4. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

yea da one on da bottom is the one im talkin about. They are all the same species. I want to know what i should feed it and stuff. Another name for it is a Vampire Tetra.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If they're the same species, then that little guy will turn into the big guy with huge teeth. I wouldn't do it.

-Chelle

6. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

I'm already getting it..... can someone with any info on this fish please help?

7. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

seriously help the poor guy out. He getting it minus will help him out .Before he feeds it a cheese burger or something, so if u really wanna post something helpful plz post.

8. Mwm

Mwm New Member

Ive never heard of those being a pet. Wierd Maybe a giant heated pong or sumthing

Edited for content

9. tina1

tina1 New Member

That's quite possibly the scariest fish I've ever seen 8-[

Any info I could find on it just said that it's very aggressive (obviously) and gets VERY large. Minimum tank size listed anywhere is 250 gallons... Apparently they are solitary fish.... That's good as I can't imagine trying to clean a tank with a school of them in there.

It prefers soft water with a pH of 5.6-6.8 and a temp of 76-80 degrees.

This is all info got from google so probably nothing new to you, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

But really, whatever are you thinking? You might loose an arm :lol:

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I still recommend you get rid of it.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/d ... _records=1
    lists tank size as 250 gallons, but IMO a 36" fish is going to need closer to 500 - 1000 gallons.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/piranha038/hydrolycus.html
    Something I'd like to note:
    "The captive species H. scomberoides, grew rapidly in just a very short period of time, starting just at 6 inches and reaching its maximum aquarium size in just under 2 years before mortality. Other hobbyist who have tried to raise this fish in the aquarium had similar experiences. No explanation can be given as to why the fish died. Though the size of the aquariums and lack of proper requirements could be the reason the fish do not do well in captivity."

The fish died after 2 years due to stunting because it is not meant to be kept in an aquarium. So your new fish will only be able to survive a couple months in a 30 gallon tank and probably no more than a couple years even in a 250 gallon tank.

-Chelle

11. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

I agree with t_chelle. I got 2 pacus a few years ago (they were so small and cute!) but they got bigger, and bigger, and bigger in a matter of months. I ended up with 2 1-foot long pacus in a 67 gallon tank. Dont worry though, I found a good home for them! With great difficulty though... so stay away from this fish you plan on getting, it will only cause you a lot of trouble and it's not fair to the fish. Why dont you just get some swordtails or tetras or something like that? Groumis are cool too.

12. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

omg that scary thing is an adalt version! ugh, dont do it! sure it is cute as small but it is the same thing where you will end up needing a new home for it and how are you going to get rid of that? its gonna be very hard! and dont even think of saying put it in a lake or anything. isnt that illegal?

13. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

People say its payaras are too big, arrowana is almost just a big a payara, so are u guys trying to say that is not suititable for a pet also? Ive seen lots of places that have arowanna. I think nobody ever had any payaras, because its hard to get, not because its not suitiable for a pet..

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Most people keep arrowanas in tanks that are too small. An arrowana would also require a tank that's 300 - 500 gallons.

-Chelle

15. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

should i keep my payaras in a amazon like environment?? or should i keep my tank the way it is... i have a pic on the forum just look for my 30 gallon tank pic...

16. tina1

tina1 New Member

In my opinion, all fish should be kept in as close a replica of their natural environment as possible. This helps keep the fish less stressed which in turn leads to greater disease resistance. And you get the benefit of seeing more natural behavior and they will also have a longer lifespan.

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm sorry, but I think you are making a HUGE mistake keeping this fish so I will not give you any more advice on this matter. As a final thought, though, I'd like to add that keeping this fish in a 30 gallon tank would be like keeping an oscar in a 5 gallon tank. It's a disaster (& dead fish) waiting to happen. Good luck.

-Chelle

18. tina1

tina1 New Member

Ditto. Chelle is always one step ahead of me :wink:

Not trying to be mean in any way but I've given what advice I can and I really don't agree with what you are doing. So good luck and I'm out as well.

19. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

so you're going to put several of those huge fish in that 30 gallon tank? Bad, bad idea. Did you see those pictures that Chelle posted? Maybe you should look at them again and see what you're buying. If that little fish is of the same species, it will get big- very big. So my advice to you? Don't buy those fish. And if you are going to get them, return your 30g and get a 500g. Basically these fish you want are not meant to be pets. Why do you want it so badly? Why don't you go back to the LFS and look at some other fish? For your tank size you probably should get any fish that grow to over 4 inches.

20. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

im going to start out with my 30 for now with the babies im getting.... once they begin to grow a lot, i will probably get my 100 gallon by then, if not i can go to my LFS and ask them to babysit them till i get it, or tradem in for new more exotic fish