1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Budgies Layed Egg?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by SarahhBoo, May 21, 2008.

1. SarahhBoo

SarahhBoo New Member

Recently I got Pet Budgies In October for my first time ever basically. (My parents have had budgies before), and well they are named Mickey and Minnie.
    Lately I noticed the female (Minnie) being slightly more agressive and today she layed an egg outside of the cage which caused a small problem. We always close the cage at night, so basically my parents moved the egg into the cage in some soft tissues and that hoping she will accept it, even with it being moved.
    Will she reject the egg, or will she still look after that egg we moved?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI, most of the time they will reject the egg.
    If they do start looking after the egg and its fertile chances are if the egg was shaken a little without even knowing it then the egg will have either died or will grow abnormally resulting in something wrong with the chick when it hatches.

How old are both birds?

If they are both old enough to breed and you plan on breeding them, Then i suggest you do not allow them out of the cage, Give them a nesting box lined with about 2inchs of plain wood shavings.

Budgies are not nest builders, so giving them tissue or straw to make a nest is pointless.

If you plan on keeping them as just pet budgies, Then i suggest putting the male in a cage of his own, reduce the amount of light they get a day and reduce the temp of the room they are kept in this will help stop her from laying anymore eggs.

Mike