1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Food

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by dogfanatic, Oct 21, 2004.

1. dogfanatic

dogfanatic New Member

I was wondering what everyone thought about Bil-Jac. I saw that someone recommended it awhile back, but I am so confused as to why it is considered a good premium food. I feed my dogs holistic/organic food (Blue, from the Blue Buffalo Company to be specific). It is absolutely amazing food (their website is www.bluebuff.com ). Then I hear about Bil-Jac, and so I researched it. It contains by-products galore, lots of corn, and BHA!!!! This is a preservative that is KNOWN to cause cancer. Does anyone know how this food is even a premium. If you have any info please enlighten me.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I did read that bil jac is a good food and just checked their ingredients, they not look as good as others with the by products being the first 2 of 3 ingred, corn and beet pulp

blu buffalo looks likean excellant food

honeybear

3. dogfanatic

dogfanatic New Member

yeah those are pretty bad ingredients. I don't get all the sugar either. Dried beet pulp, and molasses.

4. seaecho

seaecho New Member

Read up on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. No fillers, only whole chicken, chicken meal, etc. Its one of the least expensive per pound, of the higher quality dog foods, and I get it for $25.98 for a 35 lb. bag. For the price and the quality, I feel I can't go wrong with it. And the animal eats much less of it because of the density of nutrition. But I will defiinately check out the Blu Buffalo - never heard of it. I buy the Bil-Jac liver treats. But that is the only Bil-Jac product we've tried.

Randi

5. nern

nern New Member

I'm pretty sure that any company can label their food as "premium"....I don't think the word really has an offical defination. To me it seems like just another word manufacturers use to make the food sound appealing to consumers.
    IMO, Bil Jac is not a great brand but is still better than many other brands.
    I use Timberwolf Organics.

6. dogfanatic

dogfanatic New Member

I think that pet foods have a minimum digestibility requirement, and minimum vitamin/mineral/antioxidant requirement, to be classified as premium.

7. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I've been letting Smokey have free feeding of the Purina Benefuls and then his normal "meat" meals a day. I've been wanting to switch him over to Chickne Soup, but I've seen sooo many dogs get fat off it.
    Smokey is sooo active and his sceduals are never normal, so free feeding is kinda his ownly option. Plus his "meat" meal a day. He's healthy as a horse and in excellent shape. I just don't want any added weight to slow him down, or cause any organ stress. What are yalls thoughts on it?

8. horse_child

horse_child New Member

beet pulp, molasses, and sugar? sounds like horse feed if you ask me. we feed purina. our dogs love it and mine has a very sensitive digestive system. we've tried iams but that upset her to much.