1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

PET RENT

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by letsgopens, May 14, 2004.

1. letsgopens

letsgopens New Member

Does anyone else live in an area where they are allowed to charge Pet rent? It is where they charge whatever they want a month to allow you to have pets. I have seen it over $150 a month, this is money the landlord keeps and you never get it back even if you leave the place in excellent condition. I feel this should be illegal and you should only have to pay a security deposit and you should be able to get it back when you leave the place clean and it good shape. This money is above your regular rent. Once again they are trying to make it so only rich or well off people can have pets. I haven't found anyone willing to care or do something about this, it is like back in the day when landlords where able to turn down someone because they had kids. If you know who I can write to about this or if you also want to write someone please do and let me know who I can write to.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I know of complexes that do this...and you're right a security deposit paid just once would be sufficient. Anyone who rents an apt. for years and pays out monthly on top of their rent in order to have a pet is getting screwed. Imagine paying $100/month extra to have a pet and renting the apartment for 5 years....that's $6,000 in order to have one pet!!!!

I think that basically what this does is discourage people from having pets in rentals rather than encourage them.

3. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

I pay $10 a month for pet rent.

4. nern

nern New Member

I've heard of pet rent but I think many of the landlords (the few that even allow pets) around here charge an extra "pet deposit" rather than pet rent which I guess is a good thing. My landlord allows pets but does'nt charge extra....he is probably one of the few that does'nt.

5. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

u ow its funny cause most places where i live will not let u even consider renting from them if u have animals... i know ive looked into many places even places that r in not so good areas just so i could take my babies w/ me and even theer if u could have animals it was a large amount extra... ive even had renters turn me down b/c i have a child.....and then teher were places that didnt mind me having a kid but didnt like the fact that i wasnt married..... and the main thing that gets me is there were 5 places that said i could have dogs but NO CATS WHAT SO EVER!! even if they were fixed etc... they said that cats were nasty animals and stink up the place and pee all over everything.... i tried telling them that i have never caught my cats spray all were fixed and up to date on shots etc... but no no cats allowed only dogs.... i love dogs dont get me wrong but dogs can be loud ive never heard a cat bark.....i dont get it.....

6. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

You know that they can't turn you away because of being a one-parent/unmarried family right? It's in the Equal Housing thingy. That's just wrong.

And there's this totally wrong impression that once a cat lives in a place you never get rid of the "smell"...it's total baloney.

7. footsie

footsie New Member

I had to pay a pet deposit that is only 50% refundable.

I hadn't heard of pet rent before. If you'd really like to do something about it in your area, since it sounds like it's out of hand, then I'd reccomned contacting your local renter's rights association. I never knew there was such a thing until I had a bad landlord and they helped me out. I think most cities have one.