1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

pop up can foods vs. thyroid problems

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by vene, Apr 7, 2004.

1. vene

vene New Member

I've just brought Milo to the vet to upadate his vaccines when I found out that I should not be feeding my cats pop up can foods. The vet said recent studies have shown a high correlation between thyroid problems and eating foods from pop up cans. She also told me to avoid all fish canned foods and can foods containing giblets. This also results in thyroid problems. :?: :?: :?

Has anyone ever heard of this? This is such a strange statement. Does that mean that humans should also worry about getting thyroid problems from eating from pop up can foods? Hubby thinks I should take her advice with a grain of salt.

2. footsie

footsie New Member

What do you mean by pop up cans?

3. vene

vene New Member

The cans with the pull tabs on top that you don't have to use a can opener..

4. halaroo

halaroo New Member

That seems kind of strange. I'm interesting in hearing an answer/thoughts on this.

5. nern

nern New Member

There was a recent article in the JAMVA about this...and yes I believe it also effects humans. I'll see if I can find out some more as there was a recent discussion about this in another forum.

6. nern

nern New Member

Here is some more info. -

This is the abstract from the JAVMA:
    http://www.electronicipc.com/journalez/ ... 0022240610
    "Epidemiologic study of relationships between consumption of commercial canned food and risk of hyperthyroidism in cats
    Charlotte H. Edinboro, DVM, PhD; J. Catharine Scott-Moncrieff, VetMB, MS, DACVIM; Evan Janovitz, DVM, PhD, DACVP; H. Leon Thacker, DVM, PhD, DACVP; Larry T. Glickman, VMD, DrPH *

Objective—To determine whether the increasing prevalence of feline hyperthyroidism is the result of aging of the cat population and whether consumption of canned foods at various times throughout life is associated with increased risk of hyperthyroidism.

Design—Retrospective and case-control studies.

Study Population—Medical records of 169,576 cats, including 3,570 cats with hyperthyroidism, evaluated at 9 veterinary school hospitals during a 20-year period, and 109 cats with hyperthyroidism (cases) and 173 cats without hyperthyroidism (controls).

Procedure—Age-adjusted hospital prevalence of hyperthyroidism was calculated by use of Veterinary Medical Database records. On the basis of owners’ questionnaire responses, logistic regression was used to evaluate associations between consumption of canned food and development of hyperthyroidism.

Results—Age-specific hospital prevalence of feline hyperthyroidism increased significantly from 1978 to 1997. Overall, consumption of pop-top canned (vs dry) food at various times throughout life and each additional year of age were associated with greater risk of developing hyperthyroidism. In female cats, increased risk was associated with consumption of food packaged in pop-top cans or in combinations of pop-top and non-pop-top cans. In male cats, increased risk was associated with consumption of food packaged in pop-top cans and age.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance—These findings suggest that the increasing prevalence of feline hyperthyroidism is not solely the result of aging of the cat population and that canned foods may play a role. (J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004;224:879–886)"

Here is an article that also mentions it:
    http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... iatriccats
    "The cause of hyperthyroidism is unknown, but a recent study found a link between hyperthyroidism and feeding canned food, particularly fish and giblet flavors. Easy-open "pop top" cans also appear to be a contributor. Just what it is in these foods that is the culprit is unknown. Feeding canned food is very important to an older cat's overall health, but it may be wise to stick to poultry, beef and lamb flavors that don't contain liver, giblets, or by-products. Get the larger cans that don't have a pop-top. Many holistic veterinarians also believe that, because this disease is fairly new but rapidly reaching epidemic proportions, that vaccines may also be a factor."

7. vene

vene New Member

Thanks nern. That was very informative!

8. footsie

footsie New Member

Very interesting. I'll have to give those articles a closer read later tonight.

I never knew that the food inside a can with a pull off lid could be affected by the can! I can't wrap my head around a good explination. I always thought it was just a difference in the can, not the food.

9. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

i don't know anything about pop-up cans and I've been feeding my cats from them for YEARS - and no thyroid issues here.

On this fish food though - I once read that fish is NOT a natural food for cats since they originated from desert regions. I have cat that can't tolerate fish cat foods - they come out the other end nearly as fast as it went in and not nearly as firm either :roll:

On the can thing though...I refuse to believe everything I read.

Read the news lately? Here all this talk is going on about the obesity in this country and we need to get kids outside, more physically-oriented, etc. Yet yesterday there was an article saying preschoolers who watch TV have a longer attention span.....so do they need to get more exercise or watch more TV?

I'm not saying I know whether or not pop-up cans are bad for a cat - but I hate this stuff about confusing the hell out of us consumers.

10. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

Many holistic veterinarians also believe that, because this disease is fairly new but rapidly reaching epidemic proportions, that vaccines may also be a factor."

this is probably more the culprit than anything. Also...I'm 45 (oh I hate to admit that) and anyone in my age group - do you remember there being such an overwhelming population of cats when you were young as there is now? I remember in my late teens going to the shelter to get a kitten. I had just left home and was getting my first pet (I had her for 16 years)....it was the height of kitten season and the shelter had just Tammi. You go to the shelter in July now and they are swamped with kittens.

also people weren't as quick to vet cats when I was younger. The cat I grew up with was spayed as a kitten and had a rabies shot - that was it. She lived to be 16 years old. She went to the vet that one time and again at 16 when she had to be PTS.

I think there is now more research being done cause people take vetting their pets more seriously whereas 20-30 years ago it wasn't as common.

11. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

This was a very interesting and informative post. Thanks everyone. :eek:

12. fleafly

fleafly New Member

It sounds like the issue studied was canned vs. dry food. The risk seems to be from increased consumption of canned food. I didn't see anything in there that would suggest that cans with a pop up top are worse than oher cans. It shouldn't change the quality of food inside.

I think that it might also be what is known as a confounder. Pop up tops are more common today and more people use them. More cats that eat from pop up tops may be getting hyperthroidism simply b/c more cats eat from pop up tops. Most of the canned cat food available now comes in pop up tops and more people may feed canned cat food when it is easier to use.

Lets not forget that with advances in modern medicine cats are living longer lives just like people are. We don't have more cancer today necessarily b/c we have more cancer causing agents. We have more cancer b/c people live long enough to get cancer. 100 years ago people died of other causes first.

I think the point is to be prudent. Balance your cats diet and keep an eye on the issue. I wouldn't stop using the pop up tops, but I would feed soft food in moderation.[/quote]