1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Precious is sick !!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

We went home this weekend and Precious and Buki played really hard as usual. We did some training, a bit more harsh and longer than usual, but not too much.
    They played in the creed for about 20 minutes and just hung out like normal.

I came home yesterday afternoon and Precious was kinda being lazy, I just played it off as her being tired from training and playing. So I loaded everything up and got the girls in the truck, and came back to Victoria. Precious slept the whole way. we got here, I unloaded them and fed them and she refused to eat! Just went to her dog house and laid down.
    I was concerned at this point. Precious is a bouncy and energetic dog. She EATS with no problem! Has never turned down a meal (that she likes) she didn't even sniff her dinner last night.

So I brought her inside. She slept with me all night, never got up, wouldn't drink, eat or anything. So i rushed her to the vet at 7 this morning.

They did a FULL blood panel on her and fecal. Everything came back normal, and she's negative for any parasite or worms.
    The vet tried feeding her some stuff, and she wouldn't eat it. She said to give her 24 hours, if she's not any better, bring her back in the morning.

I've made her some pet pedialyte, she won't drink it, tried chicken broth, hot dogs (her favorite!) and she just ignores it all.

She's still sleeping right now, she did drink a little water out of her kennel outside, and used the potty. Now she's laying under my desk sleeping still.

Any advise? I'm freeking out at the moment.

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Sorry to hear shes not feeling good. Did the vet suggest taking any abdominal x-rays?

3. Samsintentions

she did palpate her abdomen, felt nothing. No lumps, enlargements... Since she hadden't eaten in about 24 hours, her system was pretty much empty.

If she doesn't perk up or get any better she's going in for x-rays and further tests in the morning. She did urinate and go potty just fine this morning.

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hope everything is okay with her then, keep us updated.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Ack! I hope she perks up soon. The not eating and lethargy is how the parvo started here, but you know what that looks like. Let us know what happens!

6. Samsintentions

Precious is almost 2 (DOB 04/04/04)
    She's been FULLY vaccinated and had boosters.

I'm hoping that (well not hoping but thinking) it was something in the creek. Maybe she ate something? or drank too much yucky water??

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Poor Precous, I would have said maybe the creek water, but if the test came back negative, I would definately do xrays and see if she aciidently ate something. not to scare you, but how clean is the creek water, could something else be in there like a poision that would not normally be piiked up in blood tests, but I think if that was the case she would be throwing up

keep us posted

8. Samsintentions

Well, it's a nautral creek, hasn't rained lately, and there's just a puddle or two, so nothing would have floated down.

She's not throwing up that I know of, at least she hasn't today.

I'm not messing with her until dinner time. I'm just going to let her be and rest.

If she doesn't eat dinner, I don't know what to do. She's so drawn. Its obvious she's missed a few meals. She's not dehydrated though, so thats good. I asked the vet about poisoning. She said if she was, her gums should be very pale, and she should be constantly heaving to throw up, that and she would have a high fever.

I'm going to swing by PetSmart and pick up a bottle of Renew or whatever it's called, and some Nutrical... I'll make her eat the nurtical, she doesn't like it when she's not sick. I think her blood sugar is low, that alone would make her feel yucky.

Would giving her Gatoraid hurt? Perhaps her electrolytes are low?

9. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

I hope she is ok. All these poor dogs getting sick or hurt is really scary.
    Did you check for any lumps on the skin like maybe from a bug bite or snake bite?

10. nern

nern New Member

I'm sorry to hear this Sams. I hope Precious is feeling better soon and its nothing serious.

11. Samsintentions

No lumps or bites. We checked her over from head to tail and toe...

She drank a little water today, but not this afternoon or tonight as of 8:38pm.

Granvel got home and she just laid there. didn't even lift her head for him. He thinks it was the stagnant creek water. Maybe she picked up some bacteria. I'm thinking Escherichia coli, or Salmonella typhimurium.

I checked her temp about 5 minutes ago, it was 102.7
    We gave her a dose of Terramycin to help if she has a tummy bug and to clear anything in her digestive tract that might be upsetting it.

I've got a tube of liquid B-12 paste, but I don't want to give her too much at once.

We're going to go back to the vets office first thing in the morning. I'll have her look her over again and do x-rays just to be certain.

I'm so worried... she wouldn't drink chicken broth, or eat anything...

12. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Hi Sam:
    I hope everything works out fine!
    Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your dog now.
    Sue

13. Samsintentions

Thanks!

I've been up all night. I'm just waiting for the vets office to open. She held down the terramycin for about 45 minutes. Then threw it all up. She's had violent vomiting all night. She will drink a little water, then throw it up a few minutes later. My bathroom is a disaster :shock:

Poor girl. I don't know what to do.

I'll keep you all posted. I'm leaving now for the vet.

14. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Giardia maybe? Coccidia would have shown up in the fecal, right? I don't know how they test for giardia.

I hope she feels better soon! Rather than Gatorade, I would give her unflavored pedialyte. You'd need a big syringe to feed her enough, though! Rebound is the chiken-flavored doggie pedialyte, and Rebound Liquid Diet is the complete meal stuff. You can do nutrical or put honey on her gums if you think her blood sugar is low. My puppy went almost a week before she started having blood sugar problems, though.

I'd test for parvo just to be sure. I'm told there's a really nasty strain going around this year that is even affecting adult dogs. I hope it's not that!

Keep us posted.

15. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Sounds like a blockage. :(

Hope all is okay at the vets.

16. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Sounds like a blockage to me too!
    Good luck!

17. Samsintentions

I just got home, I'm calm enough at the moment to tell yall...

They did x-rays, and her small intestines were almost 3 times the size they should be. Their filled with gas.

This is a sure sign of blockage or twisted intestines. They couldn't see a blockage in the films, but that doesn't mean it isn't something light like grass or stuffing. Its just not dense enough to show up on film.

That or she's got a twisted gut. Which is common in large breeds. If thats what it is, its nothing genetic or can be passed on to any future pups.

They took her right away and started an IV and Preping for surgery. Dr. Zeplin didn't want to waist any time. She said that with that much distension, necrosis or rupture was going to happen.

I'm thinking that it has to be grass, or something she found in the creek. They tore their bed up about 2-3 weeks ago, and I picked it all up right away, so if she ate any of the stuffing, she would have shown signs way before now.... This all started after they played in the creek.

I called Sara and Rayna last night, both thought it was blockage or gardia. But she hasn't used the bathroom since yesterday around noon.... So blockage had to be it...

Her belly isn't distended, so just looking at her, you couldn't tell....

Ok. I'm going to go freek out again for a while... I can't bare the thought of loosing her!

18. honeybears

honeybears New Member

definately get her xrayed! you are redmindind of something posted here I think it was mypetherapy dog, whose dog had swalloed the king.

And When wylie was sick and couldnt keep anything down, they suspected pancriatis ( thought otherwise, and it turned outshe didnt have that, but the thing that went from her esophougus to her tummy was swollen not letting anything pass

19. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Thanks for the update Sams. My prayers are with you and Precious.
    I am sure she is in good hands and will come through with flying colors.

Keep your vigil. Keep your courage.

20. Samsintentions

I'm trying. Its just so hard. I do everything like they were children. I keep anything and everything away that could potenially harm them. I special order everything so it comes larger and they can't swallow it...

I break up their foods, and make sure their moist so they don't eat to fast and get blockage from their foods...

Ugh. I swear. Just when everything seems to be going so good.... I mean. we've decided to import a male from South Africa. I've got that lined out, Precious is scheduled for her OFA, CERF, hip eye and elbow on 04/04/06.... and Buki for prelems.

Then THIS happens!!!!

I don't have children, and don't plan on having children for quite some time. I want to have the time to finish nursing school and get my program underway with the dogs before I have human kids. I can't even get this right!!!! How they hell am I going to be when I have real kids??