1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

proud cut or studdish acting gelding. HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by meme, Jun 5, 2005.

1. meme

meme New Member

I have a gelding he is 5 I have no clue when he was gelded but it was under the age of two. I am 12 and I am taking him to the fair this year. we took him into the workout and he was uncontrolible. He kept going after the mares and nickered if he came near them. the one mare had a baby and he tryed to stomp her. if the other geldings came near the mare he was closes to he would try to go after it, during all this I was riding him and could not controle him he would take off if I left the reins lose but if I pulled in he would buck. he did not straten up that night and I had to get off and one of the advisers lungend him, he was just fine on the ground. I am a little worried about having him around other horses again. I need help. I don't want to sell him I love him and he is perfict at home and around are mare. I don't know what to do. Please help! :cry:

2. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Take him to the vet and get a blood test done, this will determine if he is proud cut. If he is, perhaps get a, x-ray done and consider corrective surgery. If he isn't then maybe some time at a professional trainers is in order? Keep trying and don't give up, but I would recommend that you not take him to fair until you have the problem identified and solved.

3. meme

meme New Member

thanks for the input, it is just my parents will not pay for a perfesional trainer or have a blood test or exray exspecialy not surgery. if you have any more suggestions or anyone else does I sure would love to hear them. :(

4. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Hmmm...ok, well a blood test really isn't that expensive, try to talk them into it. I feel for you, really i do, i have the same problem. Maybe you can take lessons once a week, pay for them yourself and see how that makes your gelding act after awhile.

5. meme

meme New Member

thanks for the reply

well I kind of am taking lessons at the workout for fair. the advisers wach us and help us and he does not act up unless he is around other horses, besides are mare. :|

6. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Hmmm...maybe take lessons at a local barn or something, private lessons wold probally be best.

7. meme

meme New Member

well he is just fine by himself but when he is around other horses exspecially mares he is totally differient. now I think are problum is getting worse he won't let me cetch him and that is deffenantly not like him he always lets me catch him he runs up and winnies at me. but to day he would not let me catch him but he let my mom catch him and he normally would let me catch him over mom I have no idea what has got into him. :?

8. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I would truly recommend taking him to the vet and having with thouroghly looked over. Including a blood test for proud cut. I would explain to your parents what proud cut is and why is can be dangerous and why you need to have your horse tested. It sounds like your horse may get some bad habits. I would also recommend private lessons with a licensed instructor, maybe that instructor will give you a way to work the lessons off of your parents won't spring for them.

9. meme

meme New Member

well I will try but I was over with him today and he was acting alot better so as long as he stays this way he should be fine it may be the weather and my mom is supposed to be talking to this one lady who gives lessons and said she would give me some lessions free it is just the fact of getting dad to hitch up the trailer so we can take him there but I think every thing will work out fine thanks for the suggestions. :y_the_best:

10. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I'm glad he's working better for you, good luck!