1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Puppy Kindergarten for Baxter

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by jcarilyn, Nov 22, 2005.

1. jcarilyn

jcarilyn New Member

Does anyone have any experience with these types of classes? I just signe up Baxter and us this morning for a class that runs for 6 weeks, one hour per week. I guess they do clicker training. Has anyone else done a class like this? What's your opinion on this?

2. LuvMyBabies

LuvMyBabies New Member

I did a puppy socialization class with William for 8 weeks. It was mainly to teach him how to interact with other dogs, both male and female, of all sizes. It also dealt with basic issues like having the dog handled by more than one person, clipping the nails, food aggression, and loose leash walking. He was the smallest dog in the class and I was a little worried about him but he did great.

We are now in the next class (I call it Grade One) where we are getting into clicker training. As someone who has no experience with this, I am finding it very helpful. I am afraid that left to my own devises, I would allow William to "Rule the Roost". Not so with this class.

Again, he is the smallest student. There are 7 dogs in the class. William(a shih-poo), a maltese (William's girlfriend), a bull mastiff, an english spaniel, a border collie, a sheltie, and a golden retreiver). The instructor is great and I think that is the key to whether you and your dog are happy with the class.

3. RunwayPrincess

RunwayPrincess New Member

I took my Toy American Eskimo Breia to puppy classes as well and she was also the smallest one, and the youngest at 11 weeks (it's never too early to start!). I was very nervous that she would get stepped on by the bigger puppies and at first she was very timid, but within 2 or 3 classes she was greeting everyone and was no longer as shy.
    We did clicker training which works great (she knows how to sit, lie down, leave it, drop it, shake, stay, and come along with a few others I taught her like spin, jump, rollover, and situp with the cliker)--she is a very smart puppy and the socialization your puppy will get in class alone is worth it.
    Find a good trainer and go for it!