1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question about breeding and what I am doin wrong

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by kreak, Apr 30, 2007.

1. kreak

kreak New Member

I have obviously been labled as a bad breeder because my first liter of puppies coming in a month are 3/4 razor's edge and 1/4 colby pit. under the ckc registry. now I love the pitbull breed and I dont wanna put this breed in danger no more then the next person. so if someone could explain to me what a good breed is, what the best blood lines are for a small breeder like my self. and why because quite frankly i didnt think i was committing a crime here.

2. OklaOutlaw

OklaOutlaw New Member

kreak,

1st I want to commend you for asking questions. I hope that you also will listen to the answers...

I went back and read all of the posts in the other topics so that I could get a sense of what is going on...

I have a couple of questions and I mean no offence with any of them.

1. How old are you? Were you raised with American Pit Bull Terriers (meaning that your parents or other significant family had them)?

2. How old are the dogs that you bred? I thought you said something about the male being 6 months old?

3. You said your dogs are CKC registered, so you probably paid at least a couple of hundred dollars for them. Did you meet your dogs parents and has the breeder of them kept in touch with you?

Now, as to what makes a good breeder, here are just a few of the criteria of what makes a good breeder:

1. Breeds only dogs which have proven they are worthy to breed. They have been titled in a legitemate activity (ex: Conformation, Weightpull, Agility, etc). Have excellent temperments that are within the standard for the breed (APBTs can be dog-aggressive, but NOT people-aggressive, etc). Are extremely Healthy, a good breeder knows the breed and will not breed a dog that can pass on problems to its offspring.

2. Rarely breeds and then breeds only to further their line and usually has a long waiting list of people wanting a pup from them.

3. Does NOT breed for profit or fad-styles or fad-colors. Good breeders rarely make a profit, any money they get from selling pups goes for the activity entry fees, food, veterinary fees, etc.

4. Keeps in touch with everyone that they have sold to and will take back any of those dogs if the buyer is ever unable to care for the dog. (this is for the life of the dog)

5. Actively fights BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) and rescues dogs of their breed.

Like I said, this is only some of the criteria for what makes a good breeder.

I personally have not had a litter available for six (yes I said 6) years.
    But, I do know many people across the nation that have had top-quality pups available recently for a lot less than you would think. ($250+!) This was because they didn't breed for profit, they bred for themselves and then sent the other pups to homes that they new would be good, loving, responsible homes.

As for the Razors Edge, Gotti, and Greyline, along with many others... All I can say is do your research, these are NOT real APBTs. They are just fad-money-hungry breeders... These dogs still deserve love, but they should not be bred...

3. mickey b

mickey b New Member

help me please !

what should i be feeding my amstaff

4. Chezza

Chezza New Member

If you have no knowledge of what to feed your dog, should you have a dog is my question???I don't mean this harshly but you should of really got all the information from your vet as to whats best for your dog, it depends, I would say to ring your vet and get some advice, I don't mean to be rude.

5. mickey b

mickey b New Member

thank you, i dont think you as rude but i have consulted my vet and he just says "what ever the dog is happy with"

6. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Vets really don't get a lot of training in the nutrition and diet area. They spend most of their time studying anatomy, physiology, disease processes and surgical techniques.

There are a lot of good foods available, and I guess I just took the question as a request for information from others, and recommendations about what others have found to be a good diet.

In general, I'd say stay away from grocery store brands and find a premium food. There are many. I feed California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato, with a little EVO canned venison mixed in. I also add green beans, carrots, plain yogurt, and I give them apple slices or raw green beans and carrots for treats. I avoid anything with corn, soy, or wheat as a main ingredient, although I do give them a supplement, Thera Coat, that contains soy isolates.