1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Questions from new guinea pigs owner!

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by aliveinarizona, May 4, 2005.

1. aliveinarizona

aliveinarizona New Member

It's been a week since we got our two female guinea pigs and we love them! My concern is, although they are getting more social, they still run away from us when we approach their cage. The smaller one is more tame, but how long does this take? We give them floor time in a large playpen for several hours a day, yet when we put them back in their cage, that is when they "popcorn" and seem happier! Aren't they supposed to like being out of the cage better? At floor time, they get treats and lots of veggies. Any suggestions?

2. Mockingcat

Mockingcat New Member

Many guinea pigs stay a bit skittish towards people walking up to their cage... we've had ours for months, and even though they enjoy floor time and being held, they still initially hide under things when we walk up. I think it's a survival thing... standing still in the open and being good to eat usually doesn't make a good combination. :)

3. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

how old do they get??

4. Mockingcat

Mockingcat New Member

Average age for a guinea pig is 4-7 years. :)

5. Fuz

Fuz New Member

guinea pigs spazzing out

ive had cavies (guinea pigs) all my life we raise breed and sell them. even our tamest ones run when we approach the cage there are very few that stand up to be petted. its perfectly normal for them to spaz out because you are larger than them so they almost automaticaly think "ahh you might eat me." so dont worry. any time you can pet them and eventually they will start to figure out that you wont hurt them.

6. goldfish_lover

goldfish_lover New Member

eah i got my guinea pig from an abused home, and when i first got him...even going near hte cage would freak him right out!! but everyday just bring her a treat and let her smell you...if you can pet her and definitly talk to her softly, that way she'll get used to ur voice
    she probably likes the cage better becasue its more closed in and "homey" dont worry...they like going out but inside their cage is their home which is why they like it... :y_the_best: