1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ravaging Pony!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by Horse Freak, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Horse Freak

Horse Freak New Member

I really need some advice!!! We purchased an 8 year old, 10.5hh Shetland Pony last summer and at first he was really good with the kids. Then things started to go downhill, biting was his first fault. Then he ATTACKED my other sixteen hand Quarter Horse, almost ripping his throat out!!! Then he got into bolting while he was on a line. Now he corners you with his but and tries to kick the stuffing out of you. We do have professional handlers up there but it does not seem to help. We really would like to sell him but who will buy a pony like that?! I really need some advice because, HE IS DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Does he act like this all the time? Like, does he act crazy if he is alone? A change like that may be linked to some sort of medical condition. I would have him checked out by a vet.

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Shetlands have the reputation for getting agressive and mean with age.
    I would suggest some serious training.
    Punishing him with hitting is NOT going to help. IF he acts inthis behavior, simply corect him by tying him out for extended amounts of time. Start with an hr, if this doesn't help, go longer.

Remember You MUST do this RIGHT away, punishing him 5-10 minutes later won't help. If he misbehaves and bolts, tie him up righ tthen and there.

As for the kicking, he's trying to become dominant overyou, and has obviously succeeded! Your going to have to regain your status as alpha.

Try and consult a trainer, someone in your area should beable to help.

4. Berriano

Berriano New Member

Where are you located?

5. horses93

horses93 New Member

i think you should get him a friend like a dog, cat, or other horse/pony

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

putting another animal in with an unruly pony can lead to a disaster. He could turn on the other animal. Donkeys however do have a tendancy to calm them down. I've seen donkeys cure a 16hh qh from his temper tantrums. This sounds bad, but the donkey will litterally kick the fire out of them, and let them know whats right and whats wrong. Donkeys have no tollerance for unruly behavior and will almost always take charge to "fix" a younger horses vices.