1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

RE: THE MOST ATROCIOUS THINGS EVER!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by cherylmason323, Dec 20, 2006.

?

Is tattooing a fish morally correct to you?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2007.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cherylmason323

cherylmason323 New Member

While I love going to Uncle Bill's over shopping for fish at Meijer, I was especially shocked at a few fish in their collection. I realize Uncle Bill's takes better care of their fish then Meijer, and that they will take fish from other people if offered, but I never imagined they dealt in something so heinous as this:
    I'm not quite sure what fish it was, though I suppose it doesn't really matter to me what type of fish it was. To tattoo yourself is one thing, but to take a fish as a baby or adult out of the water, scrape off it's protective slime and tattoo it with something as corny as "I heart (it was a drawing of a heart) you", is just plain cruel. I was told many of the fish die during this process and I assume only the strong survive. I've also seen fish with fake neon stripes of tattoos across it to mimic something of a Clown Loach look. I believe something should be done about this.
    Another concern of mine is the way that some salt water fish are obtained in the wild. I was told from a man who raises fish, that some people use a certain kind of liquid into the water to temporarily stun the fish while they catch them, not only harming the fish, but everything around it as well. Some of the fish die during this emission, but as long as those who were getting the fish get a certain amount of fish from that trip, I really don't think they care. Some people don't care about the treatment of animals, thinking of them as profit and not as living, breathing animals. I love animals and I don't think this treatment is worth the effort. If an animal has to be stunned and harmed to obtain it, then maybe they just weren't meant to be kept, because technically no animal was really meant to be put in our hands and if we are going to keep them as pets, we should at least treat them with care and respect.

2. convictparrotfish

convictparrotfish New Member

i agree with you 100% . When i first got into fish i bought a fish that i thought was beautiful. it was a bright pink color.. then it got sick and started to lose its color and that is when i first found out about dyed fish. And when i got to reading about how this process is done i was appalled. Now i go out of my way to buy only undyed fish and try to tell stores about what is really happening to these fish( most owners dont really understand the process) But they all have a hard time not selling them when people love to buy them. And i think that the way to get these fish off the market is to not buy them and to spread the word to any new commer about how cruel it is to dye fish.

sorry for the run on and all the rambling.

3. cherylmason323

cherylmason323 New Member

Re: I totally understand

Yep...I've got three danios that I was told were bred to be such bright colors when in reality they were dyed. They all seem healthy, but I feel so bad for what they've been through.