1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Rough start...Need help PLEASE

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Feb 6, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

I am a very beginner. My dad has owned koi all my live but i am more interested in the sharks and catfish.
    Ive had a bumpy start but i think i am starting on my way. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with filter heater the works but no fish.
    I was really interested in the Iredecent shark but ive done some research and they seem to big.
    If you have any suggestions please give me a hand
    thanks
    Tyler

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Your right ID sharks get huge and shouldnt even be sold in store IMO. I cant really think of any sharks that would do good in a 10 gallon some coris might be pretty cool in there

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Unfortunately, your tank really limits you to corydoras catfish and guppies or neons. Why not save up some money and try for at least a 30 or 50 gallon tank. You will enjoy your fish more and have less trouble in the long run!

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Just want to second what's been said already. 10 gallons really is too small for most fish. It might not be a bad idea to stock it with some hardy fish like guppies or danios just to learn with. Then after you have more knowlege about fishkeeping & aquarium maintenance and have saved up some money you can get a bigger tank.

-Chele

5. tyler_medeiros

Thanks
    I will really look into some other fish.
    My dad used to own a Raimbow shark in a 55 galon and it did pretty good and stayed fairly small. The thing for me getting a bigger tank is I live in an apartment and i really dont have the room. lik ea 10 gallon is pushing it.
    I will keep looking.
    Please keep the suggestions coming in
    Tyler

6. tyler_medeiros

i also prefer to have fake plants instead of real ones.
    Me and my dad have tried real a couple of times but we never have any luck
    will that have an effect on what fish i can get???
    Tyler

7. tyler_medeiros

I keep hearing the term "HARDY FISH"
    can i get some examples??
    thanks
    Tyler

8. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hardy fish :danios, goldfish, bettas..........fish that are not realy finniky and are easy for begginners to have.....fish that are not hardy for example is a discus......they need perfect water conditions and nutrition and all to live.

9. tyler_medeiros

Ive talked to my girlfriend and she says a 20 gallon would be fine.
    How does that change fish types and number of fish.
    I was in petcetera as well looking at their tanks.
    what is a good price for a 20 gallon. I cantfind any prices online.
    im in canada remember.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It would be easier if you did some looking around to see what's available in your area then told us some of the fish you're interested in. From there we could tell you what is appropriate or not.

You did mention rainbow sharks so I can tell you they get around 6" which means one would be fine in a 20 gallon (they're aggressive toward their own species and other similar fish so you could only keep one).

Also, I don't know how much it will help, but my 20 gallon tall cost about $50 American just for the tank. But that was from a small, overpriced mom & pop LFS. You could probably get it a lot cheaper from a chain store.

-Chelle

11. tyler_medeiros

Ok ive done alot of research in the past 2 days and i have talked to many people. I am most likely going to get a 20 gallon tank. I ve looked all over at different pet shops and since there is about 8 in my neighborhood i have a pretty wide range of fish to choose from. Fish I found that i think are suitable are danios, guppies,bettas, dwarf Gourami, tetras, as well as mollies and playties. I've had platies and mollies most of my life, well my dad has so i am kinda looking for something new.

12. tyler_medeiros

I also wouldnt mind some bottom dwellers but i dont know much about them or any types.

13. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

In my 20 gallon I have 2 dwarf gouramis, 1 powder blue dwarf gourami and 5 zebra danios. The make a pretty nice tank. In the beginning they're a little shy but once they start getting used to you they're quite friendly. All of mine come to the front of the tank when it's feeding time.

14. tyler_medeiros

I was thinking 2 gouriamis, 4 or 5 zebra danios, and a betta.
    What do i need for hiding spots for the Betta.
    Also do i have to put real plants in or can i use fake.

15. tyler_medeiros

I was also thinking to put some mollies in it instead of zebras or the betta.
    Im not sure if all the fish will get along tho???
    anyone know?

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I wouldn't mix a betta with gouramis. They're too closely related and will probably fight. Instead of a betta, I'd add another dwarf gourami (1 male & 2 females or 3 females would be good).

For bottom feeders, you could go with cories or otos (both prefer groups of at least 3). Or there may be some small species of loach that would work.

And no, you don't have to have live plants. Fake are just fine.

-Chelle

17. tyler_medeiros

How about 2 or 3 mollies instead of the betta or a third Gouriamis.

18. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I agree with not adding bettas in with gouramis. I tried it with Tikki and one of my gouramis (he was a real mean guy). There was a lot of posturing by Tikki but no real fighting. I decided not to take the chance of keeping them together.

Never had mollies so I can't comment on if they'd get along.

19. tyler_medeiros

Anyone have suggestions on mollies??

20. tyler_medeiros

I have a few question about plants.
    Do u need a sand base to have real ones or can they survive in gravel?
    how do you take care of them?