1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Rusty, Our Jack Russell/Dachshund We Found On Highway

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by pamr61, Apr 25, 2004.

1. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I want to tell you about my dog Rusty, and an experiment we are doing.
    We've had Rusty for about 6 weeks now. He is aprox. 8 months old, and by all best guesses by everyone (including his vet), is a Jack Russell/Dachshund mix. We found Rusty sitting beside a highway, out in the middle of nowhere. My roommate and I were returning home from visiting her parents. We came upon this little pup, looking lost and exhausted, sitting right on the shoulder of the highway. We couldn't believe what we were seeing as we drove by, and turned the car around and went back. He was afraid at first, and wouldn't come to us. A couple of men passing by stopped and told us he had been around there for quite awhile, and they thought he had been dumped. They said they had called the police, but they said they wouldn't come out to do anything about it.
    So , we were then determined to find a way to help this little pup. It took some time and a lot of coaxing, but we finally managed to gain his trust, and he let us pick him up. He was so exhausted from his ordeal, as soon as my roomate sat in the car with him, he collapsed in her arms and went to sleep.
    Well, to make a long story short, after making all attempts to find out if he had an owner anywhere looking for him, we found none. ANd by that time it was sort of a good thing for us, because we had fallen totally in love with the little mutt. Since that time he has gotten established with a local vet, has had check ups, all of his shots, neuter, microchip implanted... the whole nine yards. Rusty is now home to stay with us, and we love him like he's our little kid.
    So anyway, here's the experiment part....
    There is a website called Many Critters. They are a site for animal lovers, with forums, chat rooms, and best of all a place to find homes for homeless animals. They also have a monthly photo contest. And... you guessed it..... Rusty is entered into that contest for this month :) So here's what I'm trying to do. I am giving this message to everyone I can, asking people to follow the link below to the Many Critters website, and give a vote for Rusty. He is #22. Click on the link, and near the center top is a little flash "Cast Your Vote" button. Click that, and it will take you to the page with all of the contestants photos. Scroll down to Rusty at #22, click on it, and scroll down to the Submit button at the bottom. That's all there is to it!

http://www.manycritters.com/petcontest.htm

The prize for this contest is $10 for the winner, and $10 to their favorite animal charity. But if I Rusty should happen to win, I am going to ask that all of the money be donated to NOAH, our area's no-kill animal shelter.
    And I think if you go there and see him, you will have to agree he IS the cutest one!
    ThankYou

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I think you forgot to include the link to the website.

But I searched around and found it (PLEASE correct me if it's wrong)
    http://www.manycritters.com/petcontest.htm

and, of course, I voted for your little critter! :) He's adorable.... I love his eyes/expression!

3. seebr

seebr New Member

pamr61, count me in. We voted for the cutest survior #22!
    Good Luck!!!!

4. What a wonderful wonderful thing you did by taking that boy home with you :D I wish you all the best and he has my vote!

Susan

5. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Ok I tried to vote but guess I am too stupid! LOL maybe the contest was over by the time I got there. Oh well, too cute though and hope you guys won!

6. EmmesMom

EmmesMom New Member

VOTE

:eek: I VOTED!! I think you can vote more than once BUT not in the same day!! SO I will vote again and again!! For you to donate all the money to the shelter is a GREAT thing. Plus taking home that little fur baby is WONDERFUL too!! :eek:

7. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Ok I am stupid, how do you vote? I didnt see a vote now link anywhere. OMG I am going blind!!!

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Ok I found it! DUH, you got my vote!!

9. klf

klf New Member

come on everyone rusty needs 20 more votes to take the lead!!!

loke how cute this guy is!!
    It is for a good cause get out and vote! it isn't the presidental elections!!!

10. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

You just went to the top of my list of nice and caring people. You have a heart that has endless love. I don't care what Rusty looks like he is a winner just having you but I did go and take a peek and when I looked into those eyes all I could see was love. Thank You for taking the time to stop and open your heart to a lost but now found puppy.

2pyrs :) :) :)

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

He is in the lead now I think. He is a cutie. I like the head cocking that dogs do. That gets you. Hope he wins. How often can you vote. everyday or just once?

12. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

He is in the lead now I think. He is a cutie. I like the head cocking that dogs do. That gets you. Hope he wins. How often can you vote. everyday or just once?

OOPPSS sorry for double post.

13. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

WOW! Thanks for all the support all of you are giving to Rusty-- As of today, he has pulled into the lead :y_the_best: We still have until the 15th of May left of the contest, so hopefully with everyones help, he can stay in front. According to the rules, you can vote once per day per computer--- I guess it doesn't matter how many times an individual votes, but it only counts one vote from each computer per day.
    I am new to this sight, but have quickly found out what a great bunch of people hang out here!
    Rusty truly is a joy to have in my life. It's been a long time since I had a dog, and I forgot how great they are for unconditional love and devotion. I think sometimes things that seem like they happened for unknown reasons are actually part of a much larger plan than we are aware of... and somehow I think finding Rusty sitting on the side of that highway on that Sunday afternoon was definitely one of those things. I think he needed us, and we needed him in our lives. He really is a sweetie. Thanks everybody, keep up the great work with the voting!!

14. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

If you could post once a day on this thread it will pop up in my email and remind me to vote, as well as others.

15. klf

klf New Member

HAY EVERYONE THIS IS CLOSE THERE IS ONLY A 4 VOTE DIFFERNECE SO LINK UP AND VOTE!

16. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I voted again for ya! :)
    I agree with puttin.. we need little reminders! :)

17. honeybears

honeybears New Member

18. Nik

Nik New Member

the little fella was 4 off the lead when I got there so I've put him 1 in front :lol:

Apparently you can vote more than once :oops:

19. Meg04

Meg04 New Member

I voted again.... I hope he wins.

20. Rene

Rene New Member

I voted for him what a cuttie and you and your room mate did a wonderful thing it had to have been meant to be good luck