1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Sand in your dogs Eyes......

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by tgiles91, Apr 6, 2004.

1. tgiles91

tgiles91 New Member

:?: :!: My dog likes to play in they park. She loves to play in the sand. She is very agile and we use it for some agility traning. She will sometimes get sandd in her eye, and I was wondering if you can use regular human saline eye drops to help get it out. I really care about her and don't want to hurt her. I don't want to seem irrisposible that I let me dog play in the sand. Please help.

P.S. I also need advice on traveling in a car with her for 3-4 days. He are moving to Florida.

2. karma

karma New Member

I've used human saline to rinse my dog's eyes and my vet told me it was ok, but to be sure, check with yours.

3. tgiles91

tgiles91 New Member

okay

just wondering. what brand of saline solution did you use?

4. karma

karma New Member

I wear contacts and I use the cheapie generic from WalMart as I believe it's identical to the expensive brands.

5. karma

karma New Member

You know, I just thought of something. I'm a groomer and I use something called SafeEye. This is an eyedrop formula containing mineral oil and I apply a drop to each dog's eye before bathing. This is a protective liquid coating for the eye to safeguard them in case shampoo gets in there.... you might try this stuff. But again, ask your vet first whether this would be ok to use regularly. You can get it from: www.PetEdge.com

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I would imagine just regular saline solutions would be fine.

For the traveling question - how does she travel in the car usually? Is she in a crate, or in a seat with a harness and seatbelt, or loose? Is she calm in the car? Does she get sick?

I have never travelled for more than 5-6 hours with my dog, but she does just fine. I either have her in a crate in back or in the passenger seat with a harness and seatbelt. If she is in the passenger seat, I stuff the floor with things to make it level with the seat so she has more room to spread out. Whenever we stop - for gas or food or whatever - I snap a leash on BEFORE opening the door and then take her out to potty.

Many hotels accept one dog, although they are more likely to accept a small or medium dog. A lot of hotels want the dog to be crated. For a 3-4 day trip, I would make sure you find time for some exercise for your dog every day. Find a park and go play fetch or something. Take her for a long walk.

Bring enough food for the trip, plus a few days extra in case something happens. Bring bottled water - new water in a new city sometimes upsets tummies and you do NOT want a dog with the runs in the car!! Bring chew toys to play with in the hotels. If she is on any medications, make sure you have enough. Bring the phone number of your vet in case anything happens you can call and consult with him. And make sure you bring a bed or blankie or something familiar from home to keep with her.

The trip might take a little longer with her than without her, but it should go smoothly if you have patience and are willing to roll with anything that comes up unexpectedly.

Jamiya

7. Hi! regular saline will be fine for your dogs eyes. Jamiya gave you all the advise you will need for the trip, Hope you have a good one! :D

Susan

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Towels! Don't forget to bring towels! You never know when a dog will spontaneously become wet or muddy or something. :)

And a pooper scooper/bags. And food and water bowls to put the food and water in.

Jamiya

9. tgiles91

tgiles91 New Member

hey thanx

Thanx for the info on the eyedrops. My dog is only 6 pounds. She usualy rides in the car free but she stays in the backseat with the kids. She likes tto stick her head out the window but I won't let her unless she has a leash on and we are not on a high-way or going to fast. She would be good in a hotel but if someone knocks at the door you can't get her to shutup. we do have sadatives for her. and she loves to run so we might stay at a hotel that will walk and water your pet when you are not there. Also could I have a list of dog friendly hotels.

Thanx :idea: