1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Say no to Cropping ears

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Sook, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Sook

Sook New Member

I cant understand why owners of APBT still cropp there dogs ears.. i always thought the purpose of cropping was for dog fight, so they dont get torn off..??

Correct me if im wrong...

I try picturing my dog with cropped ears and i just wanna cry..

Any laws of cropping ?

Wouldnt mind some more info on it..

2. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Ear cropping

Personally, I think some APBTs look better with cropped ears. And then there are others that would look better with natural ears (either because of a crappy cropping job or the shape of the dogs head, etc). All of my dogs ears are natural. It is true that the original purpose was to keep the other dog from being able to grab hold of them. Now, it is simply for looks. I have a male who I think would look better with cropped ears, but he was an adult when I got him, and didn't want him to have to go through that. Besides, my husband is 100% against ear cropping. He says it makes them look vicous to other people (true), and it takes away from the 'personality' in their faces ( I disagree here). A local woman recently got a white pup from us (it was a trade for another pup). I went back today to get the ADBA papers on the dog I got from her, and got to see what my white boy looked like with (almost) healed, cropped ears. The crop job was perfect, and his face/ears showed just as much expression as they did before. Put simply, it is just a matter of preferance. Oh, and some people may get their dogs ears cropped because of deformaties (for lack of a better word) of the ears. Like when they stand straight up, or flat to the side, or one up and one normal, etc.

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Sook: I worked in a vet clinic where pits were brought in for treatment. Their ears were cropped close to the head ears, cartilage, everything for fighting purposes. But then ear cropping is accepted with ADBA. AKC,and UKC. I was going to have my pit's ears cropped, had the appointment, but the staff informed me of the pain involved and the image portrayed by cropping ears. I personally was not going to put them in a show, nor did I want them to look "mean", and I certainly didn't want them to be in pain, so I cancelled the appointment and said " they were meant to have ears. All the pics of the other dogs with the cropped ears look so good and sometimes I wish I would have done it, but then I look at my doggies with their ears and think, Damn, those are really cute ears, and that's all that matters. What it boils down to, is your dog a show dog, or your Bud, even if he had only two ears, or three legs, or one eye, these are our best friends. My dogs have their ears. It gives me something to pull on when I want to give them a kiss.[​IMG]

4. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

i too prefer uncropped ears but like spencerpits said, its a matter of preference, and it doesnt hurt the dog when done properly. the only problem is because of the popularity of cropping, there is always someone whos going to do a dodgy DIY job. just like with tail docking etc.

5. chickee

chickee New Member

I love the cropped look and I make it a point to do all my dogs, BUT, I do admire the one's with the perfect naturals.

[​IMG]

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with you Chickee I like the cropped look as well some w/o cropped ears tend to look hound doggish sp?(not sure if that's a word)
    Although cropped or not I still think they are all the BEST!
    There are so many different breeds that get cropped ears as well as tails and w/o it done in particular breeds they just don't look right in my opinion.
    My Mom had a cocker once with an undocked tail and I have to say it just looked weird.
    Chickee I added your website to my favorites a long time ago, I just love looking at all the pics you have posted. Your dogs are Beautiful.

7. Sook

Sook New Member

i can understand the reason for it despite everyones logic.... the dogs born with ears for a reason, i reckon cropping a shallow thing like Plastic surergy, it makes the dogs look mean.. i mean, my childs got big ears.. should i crop his ! :O

8. chickee

chickee New Member

my childs got big ears.. should i crop his

I don't know, should you? Think of the big picture mom. How will the child look as a big earred adult? :wink:

9. Sook

Sook New Member

he'll look like hes ment to look, like him... "default" if u excuse the expression...

10. Walt

Walt New Member

I cant even amagin my boy's ears not croped. I saw a couple of his siblings there ears are natural and beleive my I made the rite choice :D

[​IMG]

11. chickee

chickee New Member

Something like this? I think she (yes, she's a girl) looks fine. I think it's because she has such a big head to go with the ears. lol... The kennel who bought her as a pup decided to leave them natural, which is fine with me, as everyone has their preferences. By the way, those 'flat, wide' ears are a minor fault in the UKC conformation ring. Just one other reason why I personally crop all puppies that I keep. Just never know how they are going to turn out sometimes.
    [​IMG]

12. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Ok I will. I'm not going to type something out just paste from a post I made before. I get tired of typing the same crap over and over again.

The majority of Pit Bulls w/ cropeed ears are either show dogs(APBT) or AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIERS. And lets not forget all the pet bulls with cropped ears b/c the owner likes the look. Most gamedogs have natural ears, most dogmen don't bother to crop. They don't care how a dogs ears look like show breeders or those AmStaffs who must for the AKC standard. A few dogman will crop SOME dogs ears if it too their liking. It can be a DISADVANTAGE and why disadvantage your dog? If a head dog in a match doesn't have ears to ride it may ride the nose & do severe, unrepairable damage, even cause death. If it is infact still an "ear sucker" and chooses to latch onto the spot where the ears should be this again can cause problems. Blood can go into the ear canal which can be dangerous, even cause infection, bring parasites, ect. There is a small likely hood that a dogs ear will be torn off. Sure some game dogs do have their ears cropped, but look at the majoriy they have natural ears.

Here is what some idiot claiming his Rottweiler trashed his Pit Bull. Which he then changed to gamebred Pit Bull adding this. I have owned a pitbull gamebred and ears cropped and everything" LOL I was cracking up, now cropped ears make these dogs gamebred or even game.

Cropped ears really inhances the looks of some dogs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can hardly imagine what either these 2 dogs would look like with ears. Well I guess my male would look like a certain red nose I know from the same line, a 1/2 brother to his sire. My male had perfect ears too, I hated to crop them, but oh well.

13. #1SBT

#1SBT New Member

i personally like the cropped look.
    my amstaff has the natural look only because it is illegal to crop ears in australia but if it was legal then i would have done my dogs ears straight away.

14. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Ear cropping is a personal preference.I did a tail dock on a catahoula which I adopted, thought she was an a Aussie, come to fine out they weren't suppose to be. It was very painful for her. I think that's why I didn't do the ear crop. I didn't want people to view my pits as being "mean" or associated with any violence. I wanted them to be ambassadors for all breeds of pits to be amiable pets to be trusted, not to "kill" or "mame" children or other people. I've had friends and family from different states where they are trying to outlaw pits, thinking that my pits are wonderful pets. My Hubby really wanted to have their ears cropped, still does, because they look so formiable with ears cropped, but we will keep them just the way they are. All the members on this board whos pics of their pits I've seen with ear crop, they look so good!!!! But my pits won't be in any shows, competitions, or used for breeding. They're just my Babes and that's O.K.

15. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Chickee: My hubby was looking at this post and saw a pic of yours, looked like a AmStaff redcoat.? Don't know if it's your dog, but he said the dog was the "bomb"! He really liked it.

16. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Without ears cropped some look like big chocolate labs, like the Ozzymosys dog on Chickee's home page. Some people like it like that though, they don't want people to know they have Pit Bulls.

17. chickee

chickee New Member

love-da-pits: Tell your husband I said thanks. lol.... But, for the record, you won't find many 'rednose' amstaffs around, though they are produced, they are few. The rednose dog is NOT wanted in the AKC Amstaff realm, thus the fact you won't see many. Anyways, the answer is no. My dogs are not, nor do they have any AMstaff in them. All pit bull. :lol:

True_pits: I'm not really sure, but it's safe to say, that ½ of the puppies I produced have 'hound ears' and the other will have the nice rose ears or half prick. Even the 'hound ears' don't look TOO bad, if the head is large enough to accomodate them. But I personally don't want to take the chance in one of MINE to be stuck with the 'hound ears'... Hound ears on a small head, in my opinion, definitely need to be whacked.
    PS. Ozzymosys definitely is going to have a larger head. He is absolutely HUGE for his age.

18. Angie

Angie New Member

[​IMG]

Sometimes I think that I should have had Shianne's ears cropped. But I love my baby like she is and she just wouldn't be Shianne without her big batty ears!

[​IMG]

Shianne with no ears ...lol
    [​IMG]

I like when she holds them back like this.... (which is hardly ever)
    [​IMG]

Here is one of my brother's... (Meadow)
    He only has two females that are not cropped and one has beautiful ears and one is big floppy ears.
    [​IMG]

19. Jameka

Jameka New Member

Personally, I LOVE the cropped look. All of my Pits have natural ears, because my soon to be hubby, hates the cropped look. He says it's "mean" to put the dog through the pain, & he thinks it makes them look mean..... I don't agree, but, might as well keep him happy! lol

20. Sook

Sook New Member

O M G !!! thats soooo clue... i absolutely LOVE thoses ears.....!! all ears look wicked, there wot help give each dog its personality..... personal opinion... :p

Cute as a button those ears are..!!!