1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

scratching problem and baldness.

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by gemma, Nov 27, 2005.

1. gemma

gemma New Member

Hi all im new to this, my dogs since we moved to a hotter climate has had a big problem with fleas. They dont stop scratching and at times are bald (no fur) all over, they gets like little sores from scratching i have tried antiseptic antifungal shampoo from the vet, tried normal shampoo and teatree oil and based products tried baby oil but so far nothing works would anyone have a answer or something that could help me with this problem as they ( the dogs) are chewing themselves really bad. Also have tried frontline flea control and that didnt even work( the one you squirt on down their backs).

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hi,
    Did you get the Frontline from a vet? The stuff you get on line or places other than a vet could be fake (the worst Ive heard about it is that it doesnt work).
    Also did you use it properly and give it time to work? When you put it on you need to put it were the dog cant reach around and lick it off and other dogs cant lick it off each other, they cant be bathed for 48 hours before you use it and 48 hours after you use it (a lot of people will give their dog a flea bath and then put Fontline on straight away). If there is a heavy infestation it could take about 3 months to get rid of them all.

As far as I know Frontline is the safest product to use on your dogs and Ive never known anyone to have a problem with it as long as they havent ended up with a fake and have used it properly.

There are products that you can use on the dogs bedding, furniture etc but you should always check with you vet the safe products to use as mixing them can cause bad reactions, overdosing on one product (i.e.treating the dog and then treating everything in the house) can also cause serious problems.

Some dogs are allergic to the flea bites so they get a 'double whammy' with a flea infestation and additionally the chewing and scratching can cause a secondary bacterial skin infection which is unlikely to clear up without anti-biotics so you may need to have your dogs checked by a vet.

Hope that helps.

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I see your in Australia, I dont know the laws there on selling Frontline (thought you were in US). Im in Germany were I can buy Frontline either from the vet or from a 'human' pharmacist.

These are the only outlets here that the company (Merial) that makes Frontline sells to, in US they only sell through vets.