1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

scratching to death....

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by FMgurl43, Apr 12, 2004.

1. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

hi i usually post on the cat board but ihave a ? bout my chihuahua tito he has flea allgeries very bad but we give him oatmeal baths in cool water and he gets advantage once a month and prentizone... my ? is what can i do 4 him to stop scratching so much he has screatches and scabs etc... all over his back under his legs and all over his belly i dunno what to do he will scractch till he bleeds and still scratch it drives me crazy and i feel so bad 4 him but i dunno what else to do... ive tried all kinds of sprays but nothing works.... anyone have any suggestions????i hope thats enough info if not just ask.... thanks

2. winnie

winnie New Member

Well my friends dog has food allergies and he gets cortozone(sp) shots and steriod shots(not frequently cause it isnt the best) and that always seems to help him, but i dont know if food and flea allergies are similar...i know he gets some medicine 3 times a day....im sorry i am not more helpful...hope he gets better soon.

3. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

thnaks he has gotten the cortozone shot only once and had a reaction to it sooo he cant have those anymore... sorry i didnt post that earlier that didnt even cross my mind but thanks though....

4. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Ask your vet about childrens benedryl and how musch to give him each day .Also some topical creams to relieve the itching .Not as amny baths as that will also dry his skin out and make the itch worse .

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I was going to suggest the children's benadryl also.... But talk to your vet first!

If I remember right, it's 1/2 a mg per dog lb......BUT ASK YOUR VET. I gave Bailey (who is 13 lbs) 1/2 of the children's 12.5 mg pills. I bought the grape chewable...... they worked sometimes and then other times he TOTALLY knew I was trying to sneak something in! LOL... So i think next time I'm going to try the liquid instead.

6. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

thanks i called his vet a few min. ago and he told me that since he has a reaction to te cortozone shot he woulnt recommend giving him benadryl... so... but he told me to rub him down w/ a oatmeal cream that they sell at petsmart... has anyone ever tried that? its the first ive ever heard of oatmeal cream.....but i guess its woth a try.... i only give him a bath like once a monthwhen its time 4 advantage again... unless he is really stinky...lol which isnt to often cause hes always indoors sooo... but everyonce in a while he will pee on himself he has a bad problem w/ that hes not intentionally peeing on himself just when he goes he willl get some on his stomach and it smells horrible.....

7. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I don't know anything about the oatmeal cream... but I think it's great that you can buy it over the counter!

As far as shampoo... what do you bathe your chihuahua with? (what brand)

8. ilovemaltipoos

Hmmmmmmmm ...NO benedryl because of a cortizone shot ..interesting ..
    never heard of the cream .But there is aloe which is soothing ,I would call my pharmacy and ask about the oatmeal cream .

9. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

My dog rufus used to itch like crazy until I changed his kibble to Innova. It drove me nuts too. It did help alot though. Check out neem oil too. It is good for skin irritations. I would put some in any lotion and it would make any irritant go away. My dog would get obsessive about a tiny little scratch of any kind on his skin. Don't let him lick it though put on an e-collar.

10. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

well i treid the oatmeal cream today on tito and i first put it on this morning and put it on 3x more after that and he still hasnt quit scratching..... he acts like its gitten worse.....

11. ilovemaltipoos

I would talk to another vet and see about some type cortizone cream that he could not be allergic to or type meds .There are different types out there ,not all have the same reacton in a pet .Also I would bathe the cat and get rid of his fleas and spay the house and yard ,that helps keep your dog from becoming infected with them .

12. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

:-# If your dog still has fleas w/ the Advantage have you considered trying a different flea treatment?

13. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

as far as fleas he dosent have any on him the advantage does pretty good at keeping them off of him but last month we had to buy frontlineb/c the vet sisnt have anymore advantage 4 his size and the frontline didnt work.... hes back on the advantange now and we treat our yard w/ flea,ant,tick, etc killer once a month weve been using this stuff 4 3 years now and its worked great...as far as the house we havent had any fleas in it in a while (that ive noticed) the only time he seems to get fleas is when we go 4 walks....but i have a doc appt next tuesday 4 my cat at a different vet then tito so im gonna take him in w/ me when i take my cat to see what that vet has to say....besides i dont like puttting creams on him b/c he will rub it right off on the carpet bed etc... sooo i would rather go w/ a shot or some kind of pill.. he takes pills really well which is very weird...lol

14. JayDM

JayDM New Member

New member, Chihuahua scratching

I have a 10 year old Long Hair Chihuahua that has had a scratching problem for over nine years. She has been on duck and potato or lamb and rice for most of her life. One Vet tested her for allergies but only found possible flea bites or a food allergy. One Vet said it is seasonal allergies like pollen and puts her on prednisone; it helps some but does not stop it. It seems to happen twice a year in the spring and in the fall. She was spade at less than one year old. Her skin is clear she has no soars or hair loss. We keep her hair cut short and bath her about every two to three weeks in the summer and once a month in the winter. She lives inside and rarely has any fleas. It seems the discomfort is in her lower back and stomach. She licks her feet, the sofa, and the insides of my shoes. At her worst she turns from left to right biting at the base of her tail, or she will lie on her back on the rug and bend her body back and forth while growling. Then it fades away, it stops completely for about four or five months, then it starts all over again. Any Ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks