1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry for the TMI, but concerned about dog humping...

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Leleanne, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Leleanne

Leleanne New Member

I know dogs sometimes mount other dogs to show dominance, but our with our little guy it is becoming excessive!

He's a shihtzu/Lhasa Apso mix and when we play with him and his brother Jack, he won't stop humping Jack. At first we thought it was just his way of playing or showing dominance, but now he does it constantly when they play and sometimes just for the heck of it. We can't get him to stop and he keeps going until he gets an erection. (sorry again for the TMI)

The reason I am concerned though, is because it's only getting more frequent and worse. This morning my husband said he woke up and noticed Owen walking around our bedroom with his back arched. Jack was on the bed, so he was all by himself. He said that he looked like he was in pain and when he went to get him he had an erection and was just humping the air. He said it took a long time for it to go away and he was acting like it hurt.

Should we call the vet? Or is this normal? Owen is nuetered and it has not been a problem until recently. He's about 3 years old, so... I'm not sure where it's coming from?

Any help would be appreciated. I mean, if there is nothing we can do then I guess we just have to live with it but i'm just worried he's not normal.

2. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Okay, i'm dumb. what is TMI? Anyway, yes, i would talk to the vet. preferably the one who neutered Owen. I mean, he should be missing the necessary equipment to make an erection possible. Or is it possible without testicles? Hmmmmmmmm.........

3. Leleanne

Leleanne New Member

Well, I always thought they could still get erections but they just don't have sperm? I don't know. The vet that nuetered him is in Arizona and we've moved three times so...that might be hard to track him down. I think I may call my regular vet here. I noticed it again last night where he was acting like it hurt. It doesn't seem normal to me at all.

Oh, and TMI = Too Much Information

:D

4. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Thanks for the clarification, yes i feel dumb! Anyway, no, unless your dog got a vasectomy rather than neutering, he should NOT be able to get an erection. No testicles, no erection. So yes, i would definitely check it out with your current vet........just thought if you could talk to the doctor of record, they might save you a few buck on your questions. But on humping, that is a behaviour that even spayed females can exhibit........and have no clue as how to break that one. I have an elderly spayed bitch who still humps our stud dog whenever he sits still long enough :lol:

5. Chezza

Chezza New Member

OMG, OMG, OMG.. :oops: :oops: :lol:
    Ok, This is really bizzare :shock: :shock:
    I cant believe he is chopped and still has all the testosterin there.. :shock:
    Usually it settles down when they are desexed, big time.. Take him to the vet, and get a scan or tests done, I would, just to see whats happening..

But I have to add to, that my mums dog, she was a desexed bitch and "she" sometimes displayed that too.But no where near as frequent and severe though..You really need to find out why????

6. Leleanne

Leleanne New Member

I was under the impression that they could still get an erection after being nuetered. Is this wrong? Is there a mod on this site that would know?

I googled some things and I read conflicting information. One website said that if they had one testicle drop and the other stay inside of them, which Owen did, they can have problems with testosterone and their thyroid. Maybe I do need to call my vet. I just don't want to think about the vet bills!

He does it so frequently and always stops when we tell him to, but what I worry about is when we are not home and he is playing outside alone with Jack. I mean, does he just hump Jack ALL DAY??

7. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Ah! You didn't tell me that he still has one testicle. Yes, he CAN still get an erection, and yes, he is most likely humping his buddy all day. Little surprized that the vet left it there when neutering him. But anyway, talk to your vet about finishing the job........will make your life easier. But as i said, now that he has the habit, he may keep it. Or not. Depends on the dog. Best of luck!

8. Leleanne

Leleanne New Member

Oh no no, they did remove it! haha. Sorry, I just keep confusing you! He does not have any testicles. He had to get surgery to get the other one removed. THey had to cut open his tummy and everything.

I called my vet and a dog CAN get an erection I guess, they just cant produce sperm. It's all kind of gross. But-I guess as long as the pinky goes back in the sheath, it's okay. He said to watch him though and make sure it goes back in and if it doesn't for longer then 30 minutes they need to check him out.

They also said even when dogs are nuetered, they can sense the mating season and this is time for mating. So that may be why. Oh well...

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi this is quite common in some dogs.

My sisters dog which has been neutered 3years now still does the humping thing to the point he gets an erection, The vet has put him on small doses of female hormones to try and reduce this problem and so far its helping he is not as bad as he was...

The reason he will have looked in pain is because when his penis has been out of the sheath too long it will become dry and as it is retracting will cause some discomfort....

I would have him checked by another vet and see what they can come up with..

Mike

10. gypsy

gypsy New Member

UCK! that sounds hideously uncomfortable! Yes, i am with Mike, get another opinion from another vet. Had no idea that a dog could get an erection without any testoterone. Hmmmmmmm,wonder how that works. Mike, you got any words of wisdom to share?

11. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Its like a man who has had a to have his testicles removed due to testicular cancer or some other illness he can still get an erection even without prosthetic testicles, there is enough hormone left ion the body and still being produced to allow this....

A male dog basically has the same happening to him, Some have higher levels of testosterone than others, So this makes him carry on his normal behaviour of humping things or even the air..

Like i say my sisters dog is on female hormones to try and calm him down so far its working she just glad he is not trying it with her kids..

Although it can be a problem especially when people are round she loves him just the same she always says he just got a higher sex drive than most dogs hahaha

Mike

12. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Like i say my sisters dog is on female hormones to try and calm him down so far its working she just glad he is not trying it with her kids..
    Now THAT would be a dirty trick, wouldn't it! LOL!