1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Spot on leg Rotting Away

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lisa7986, May 6, 2010.

1. lisa7986

lisa7986 New Member

3 years ago a quarter sized spot on my cats leg stopped growing hair. After some time it SLOWLY started to swell and eventually it became a large mass. The vet cut the mass off and did some tests. The tests showed that it was nothing more than a collection of cells. It healed beautifully and we were happy.

A year and a half later the hair on the exact same spot stopped growing. This time, instead of swelling up like a tumor it started to rot away. I can't seem to figure out why it's doing this.

The vet has tried EVERYTHING under the sun. He's tried antibiotics, antiinflamatories and more. There is nothing else he can think of and we've already spent 2000 dollars on him alone.

Any ideas? :cry:

But I can't show you a fucking picture because this forum is a piece of shit. So thanks for wasting my fucking time.

The wound has actually spread to the entire area that is missing hair in the pictures.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Can you email me the picture and i will add it on here for you my email address is boro_lad1976@hotmail.com

Hopefully it will give us all a better idea of what is going on

Mike

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HERE are the pictures for Lisa7986
    Personally i would have it checked again it looks like it could be some sort of viral infection or something that is destroying the flesh, I would get a second opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

found this
    A flesh eating bacterium, or necrotizing fasciitis, is a bacterial infection that attacks the skin, muscle, and underlying tissue. The condition can occur from something as minor as a scratch or after major surgery. The
    Group A Strep infection, the same bacteria that causes strep throat, is most often the cause when a minor injury results in the condition, and a mixed bacterial infection causes necrotizing fasciitis after surgery. Everyone is susceptible to flesh eating bacteria. If the infection is caught in time, some cases of flesh eating bacterial infection can be successfully treated, but necrotizing fasciitis can result in death.

Symptoms of Flesh Eating Bacterial Infection:

A small, red bump on the skin is often the first sign of necrotizing fasciitis. The bump will change in color to bronze or purple and a rapidly growing patch develops, sometimes with a black center. Fluid sometimes oozes from the wound. Other symptoms include fever, sweating and chills, low blood pressure, nausea and dizziness, extreme weakness, dehydration, confusion an

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

perhaps your vet is having trouble because this is rare in cats
    Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare life-threatening condition reported mainly in humans and dogs. According to the Department of Pathobiology and Veterinary Science at the University of Connecticut, necrotizing fasciitis has been reported only twice in cats.

Features
    1. Necrotizing fasciitis is commonly known as the "flesh eating bacteria." Necrotizing fasciitis is a bacterial infection that affects the skin and the tissue that covers the muscles.
    Cause
    2. Necrotizng fasciitis is usually caused by haemolytic Streptococcus pyogenes and Staphylococcus aureus. There are other types of bacteria that can cause the disease as well, even some found naturally in a cat's body.
    Symptoms
    3. In one case of necrotizing fasciitis in a cat, the rear leg had an area of hair loss and discoloration of the skin and underlying muscle. This was not found until the postmortem examination.
    Progression
    4. Necrotizing fasciitis is a progressive disease that quickly kills the skin and underlying tissue. Infection spreads rapidly and can lead to a systemic infection and toxic shock syndrome; death occurs if not treated quickly.
    Treatment
    5. Treatment of necrotizing fasciitis requires a high-powered antibiotic and surgical removal of the dead tissue.

6. lisa7986

lisa7986 New Member

Reply to Strep Bacteria and other information

He doesn't have any of those symptoms and it's not a fast wound. The wound started back in February 2009 and it's only gotten to the point its at now. It only oozes blood when he lays on it and rips it open, which he does often because he doesn't realize that it's there. There isn't any black and it's just that red sore.

NOTHING has changed for him in any way...he still runs to eat, he still runs up and down stairs, he still plays with our other cat, he's a completely normal acting cat save this wound. Not sure it's that strep bacteria. :(

I mean, it's a possibility and I'll mention it to the VET but the other symptoms he doesn't have. If it's a quick death then he'd probably be dead by now since it's been about a year.

Thank you a lot for this informatioN!

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

i would also go with a 2nd opinion. is it a hot spot?
    the other possibility is food allergies. Did the vet have you change foods?
    Check the ingredients on the food you now feed. If corn is listed in the top 10 ingredients you might want to switch to a food that has no corn. Corn is the main cause of allergies in cats. Also if you use a corn kitty litter you might also want to change that.
    Allergies can occur in one spot. I had a foster who turned the top of her head into hamburg due to allergies which were food related.
    Did the vet give a course of prednisone? That tends to also help.
    Could also just self mutilation which can be helped with a round of kitty prozac.
    Might want to treat as allergies to food or just something the cat does.
    I had a foster who would pull all the fur off her tail and then once she was bald she'd lick her tail. She'd done this for years and her adopter has to keep her on drugs as it's the only way Scooter won't self mutilate.
    It's not medical with her...it's behaviorial.
    Just a shot in the dark

8. lisa7986

lisa7986 New Member

Update on Leg Status

Last night there was a signifigant amount of blood...

we're putting him down on Friday.

It may have been our other car bit his leg, but it's looking worse more and more and we're just going to have to put him down. Thank you for all the help.