1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Taking our Daughter To Adopt A Horse Tomarow

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by DogAndBigCatMomma, Jun 28, 2008.

1. DogAndBigCatMomma

DogAndBigCatMomma New Member

Yes hubby and I finally gaved. Our oldest has been wanting a horse since she could walk. I have always been on the fence about it since it couldn't live on our property. But we have friends who live about 20 miles away who own a ranch and is allowing us to keep the horse there for free. So we just have to pay for what we would have to anyway if the horse lived here.

So for her birthday tomarow im taking the time out of my day and driving her and our friends trailer to the rescue. Honestly she is open to any and all breeds and ages. She has shown an interested in barral racing and western riding. She has been riding since she was six at our friends :). But she also told me that if there is a really old or disabled horse she wouldn't mind just having a trail pony. So who knows what we will come home with but we have been approved so I will post pictures as soon as possible :).

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

How exciting!! Can't wait to hear and see what comes back with you!!
    Congratulations

3. DogAndBigCatMomma

DogAndBigCatMomma New Member

Well here is our new addition. Her name is Rasta and she is pregnant. Yes we adopted a pregnant mare. And our friends who are allowing us to board her at their place adopted her sister who is also pregnant. They are both super skinny and were found in awful conditions. Rasta is a bit more skittish around people but she likes my daughter alot. Actually the people at the sanctuary said that my daughter was the first person the horse ever approached on her own.

We actually already had a beautiful paint gelding picked out when we saw Rasta and her sister in a paddock together. My daughter walked over to the fence and Rasta walked up and allowed her to pet her. We were then informed that they were sisters and both pregnant. Supposedly by a stallion they found dead on the property.

So my daughter taking after me wanted to rescue the poor horses. I took her aside and reminded her that these horses have had a rough life and it would take time to get them back to a healthy weight. And then they would both have foals to care for. In other words it would be a long time before any training or riding could happen. But she insisted that she wanted to rescue Rasta.

So I talked to the woman who ran the rescue. She cried when I told her that we wanted to adopt Rasta. She was sure no one would want either one atleast not this soon. She was pleased so pleased that she said if we adopted her sister as well she was wave their adoption fee. The main reason being the mare have never been seperated and tend to panic when it is attempted. Now its one thing to adopt one pregnant mare. But two I wasent so sure I wanted to take on that responsibility with everything else.

My daughter though was already in love with Rasta. When I told her what the rescue owner had said she begged me to call our friend who would be boarding Rasta. She has been known to take in rescues and turn them into great horses. And so I agreed to call her but I wasent going to pressure her. Well like me she is a sucker and within a half hour she was at the rescue to look at Rasta and her sister. And well the rest is history. But mares are settling into their new home. They are both Mustang/Quarter Horse crosses.

Rasta

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

what a wonderful story and you will have to post pictures of them as their pregnancy goes on and how they get back to what they should be looking like!!! I can't wait to see the improvement......

Congrats!!!