1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Taking your cat for a walk?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lottyntrike, Apr 8, 2004.

?

Does your cat like to walk on a leash

1. Loves it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kinda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lottyntrike

lottyntrike New Member

I just read the post about harness, cats look sooooo cute on a leash. i tried with jack but had no luck he H-A-T-E-D it! maybe with svetlana, i dont know if it will work becasue shes missing one of her front legs.

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Lotty. In that same post there was some pretty good advice. Some people even mentioned that it did take a while for their cats to adjust to having a harness on. Dolly's cat looks so proud strutting his stuff outside. Lol. Just try and slowly get your cats used to having the harness and give them treats and praise them. Then when they are used to it you can then try walking them outside (just let them lead the way and don't force them to walk, unless they want to go in the middle of the road or other unsafe places). Good luck.

3. halaroo

halaroo New Member

As I said in the other thread, my cats are harnessed trained but I cannot take them for a walk! As all cats owners know, it's virtually impossible to make a cat do anything. We just sit quietly outside together in the sun - as far as they venture is to the edge of our property - as long as they are doing it on their own. I'll try to remember to take a picture of Moe in her harness at lunch and post it this afternoon.

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

my cats like to go outside for walks but I don't do it often cause for a few days after they've been outside they become door dashers

5. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Door Dashers - I like that term!

I had the same problem. My cats will get a taste of the outdoors and then try to escape with reckless abandon any time the door is even cracked open.

I have one cat who doesn't take walks but is more than happy to walk around the yard with a harness on. I never leave her alone, though. It'd be too easy for her to slip out and escape.

6. lottyntrike

lottyntrike New Member

Back before they change the format of the fourm i started a topic about walking cats because jack has such a love for the outdoors. I got some really great advice there too. and for a while worked with him, but it just wasnt working for him, i dont know maybe i will try it again. he does now wear a collar so maybe there is some hope for him. that was a challenage but now its like he doesnt notice. there is this great big field behind my apartment, maybe i will put him on a lease and just sit there until he does something. i dont know. but for the meantime he gets to hang out on the deck all day long if he wants and i even bought him a birdfeeder so he could watch the birds, but not hurt them. (sadly no birds have come yet, but jack and i are crossing our paws that some will come soon!!)

isnt it funny the things we buy our animals that arent really animal releated!!

THanks for the replies. and try to get some pictures with your cats walking here, they are TOO CUTE!!!

7. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Here's a picture of Moe taken at lunch today. She wouldn't cooperate and smile pretty for the camera, but what else is new?

[​IMG]

8. lottyntrike

lottyntrike New Member

THATS GREAT!! Shes soooo cute! kinda lookes like Svetlanna. but sveties has less black on her face! oh i just love it! to cute too cute!! :!:

9. footsie

footsie New Member

That is so cute! :eek:

I can't even get a collar onto my cat! :?

10. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

walking cats

Wow! Is all I know how to say.
    One of my cats is tarrified of noises so walking is out of the question (THIS IS SO FUNNY SINCE SHE THINKS SHE IS A DOG AND GRAWLS IF SOMEONE COMES TO THE DOOR!!). She was left by her mother in my yard when she was 10 days old. I saw her in the morning out the back window and when i got home from work she was still there. So we adopted her.

My other cat was given to us by the vet's office. She always wants to get outside but only right out side teh front door. then she dashes back to safty.

I know waht some of you mean when you say that you are afraid they will then try to get out more often. THAT SCARES ME 2!!!!

I will try to post pictures soon.

HAPPY WALKING.

11. halaroo

halaroo New Member

About door-dashing - my cats are fairly well behaved. They sometimes run out the door when it opens but the always wait on the front steps or back deck until I put their harness on - then they run for the grass. I leave the front door open when we're outside, that way if something scares them they know they can get back into safety quickly. I also rarely tie them to anything. I think they assume they're tied.

12. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I used to have a picture of Zeus from when I took him out last summer...he had the most impressive bottle-brush tail I'd ever seen :lol:

he was picked up as a stray kitten (he and a brother littermate) at the age of 6 weeks - he doesn't like going outside much but if I put the leash/harness on him he'll go outside. He mostly just lays flat on the ground - my 13 lb. scaredy cat.

My little sealpoint Missy LOVES going outside - she is always escaping. She once went MIA for 3 days!!! I think someone had her...she came home dry (was raining) and not hungry. She does not get outside anymore and if she does I'm right on her.

Tilly had never been outside when I got her at nearly 2 years of age and it was so funny to see her the first time her feet hit grass.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your post - was reliving some moments :D

13. Rene

Rene New Member

My cat goes on walks with me when I walk my dogs he is not leashed trained but he runs along behind us the whole way I think he loves it (so do my neighbors they all laugh at us)

14. dolly

dolly New Member

Oliver loves to go out in the yard but I don't know if he would like a full walk--I don't think we'd get too far as he has to sniff and mark EVERY bush or tree he encounters!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. nern

nern New Member

LOL. I love the pictures....they are great. :D
    Only one of my cats has any interest in going outside. I have taken him out on a leash (with a collar rather than a harness) but only in the backyard. He really seemed to enjoy himself...he walked around a bit sniffing everything and then just plopped down in the sun.

16. Joan

Joan New Member

Hello everyone, I am new and jumping in here!
    I hope no one laughs, but I really have never known anyone/or seen anyone walk their cats. This is the first time for me hearing it. lol I am fascinated cats would do this. I love cats and might try this- Thanks for sharing and I love the pictures-so cute!
    Joan

17. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Halaroo: Moe is just adorable. Great pic and Dolly I already told you what a handsome boy Oliver is. Dolly I know Oliver is a big boy and I had asked you how much he weighed on the old forum, but I forgot. Wasn't it around 17 lbs?

18. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Thanks Chessmind - I think so too (of course). I almost didn't pick her at the shelter becasue she was in one of the first cages and by the time I reached the last cage I was too emotional to turn around and go back. I was going to just take a cat from one of the last ones. But my husband convinced me to take a look at Moe again. I'm glad I did!

Joan - Moe doesn't actually go for walks - she mainly just rolls around in the grass for awhile and then falls asleep in the sun. I have a neighbour who walks his cat though.