1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of adopting 2 male rats

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by Ginny, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Hi,

I've never had rats before, but am a big animal lover and have plenty of pets. I went into a pet shop in the week, and again today and saw 2 rats for adoption and they are in such a TINY area it's disgusting. It is enclosed, glass fronted so there isn't much air in there, it's about 2 foot square and the rats are 1 years old.

I intend to get in touch with the head office, but first I am going to order a cage for them and inform the pet shop tomorrow that I would like them. I don't want them to stay there, but the cage won't reach me until mid week. My thoughts at the moment are to get them home, and keep them in a large cat basket I have. Do you think that would be ok? It's far better than what they're in at the moment, it's wire and quite a bit bigger.

It really upsets me seeing animals kept like that, I certainly won't be going into the pet shop again after this.

Any advice very welcome.
    Thankyou

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I think the cat basket would be ok for a short term space, you'd just have to make sure that the wire spacing is not big enough for them to get through.

There are a lot of sites about rat care on the internet, but if you want first hand info I believe faeriedust1127 has or had rats, hopefully she'll be online soon or you could try and pm her.

3. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Thinking of adopting rats ..

Oh thankyou.

They definately wouldn't be able to get out of the cat basket, and I'm guessing if I order the cage asap it'll be here by wed/thurs. I just want to get them out of where they are now.

I've been looking at sites about rat care, there's so much!

4. Sara

Sara New Member

Rats are GREAT... I've had rats ever since my Junior year in college almost 10 years ago. We had to train rats in one of my classes and I couldn't bear to part with mine after our term and took her home with me. Ever since then I haven't been without a rat or two. Right now I have four male rats in a mansion doing great.

The cat basket sounds great for them for short term. Usually those cages get to you within a week and that should be fine. I'm assuming both rats are kept in the same cage at the moment? Usually males are fine together but you can have some fighting so if they're not already living together you might keep that in mind.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions about rats. I don't often look at this board, I usually look at the doggy ones but I'll keep an eye out best as I can.

Make sure whatever cage you get is not like aquarium style but metal so they get lots of air. Rats are suceptable to airway problems if they don't get enough fresh air. They can become sick fast and easily if they're in closed in spaces. Make sure when you get these two they're not suffering any of that first off... Good luck. Keep us updated.

Sara

5. Ginny

Ginny New Member

thinking of adopting rats..

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. These too are in an enclosed area, and that is my concern. How can I make sure that these 2 aren't suffering - I'm guessing just handling them and listening to their breathing?

6. Ginny

Ginny New Member

thinking of adopting rats ...

Sorry, I should have said that the 2 are in the same enclosure. And it's enclosed. I am not sure quite how long they've been in there but I was there on Thursday and saw them. I will have to question more tomorrow, but I can take them to the vets if necessary to get them checked out if I'm worried at all. What do you suggest if they seem in difficulty??

7. Sara

Sara New Member

Rats will sneeze...if you can hear them breathing too that would be a sign of issues. If there seems to be a problem I'd ask if the store's vet can look at them, in my presence and see what he has to say. Sometimes if it's caught soon enough you can just get them into some fresh air for awhile and it'll clear up. Any time a rat has a respiratory problem they'll have what look like dirty rings around their eyes or nose and you can hear it... Hopefully these guys get to go into the back shomewhere that they have fresh air...hard to say though. Just keep an eye if they seem listless too...that's a bad sign.

Hope they're fine and you can get them home with ya!

Sara

8. Ginny

Ginny New Member

thinking of adopting rats

Hi,

Well, the shop doesn't have a vet so that's not an option. I'll just go in today and ask if I can handle them, I can't see if they are lively or not as where they are is just way too small for them to move around.

Providing they seem ok I'll just get the stuff I need (from elsewhere of course!) and then bring them home. If they seem ill or whatever I am going to have to report the shop to the RSPCA.

I didn't sleep last night worrying about them, so the sooner I get dressed and get down to the shop the better! Half an hour til they open.

Wish me luck!

9. Sara

Sara New Member

Good luck and let us know!

Sara