1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Gone???

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

ok, Tom didn't come greet us Friday evening. I took it that he was either hunting or sleeping somewhere, but I couldn't find him anywere!!! He never leaves the porch area or the yard. O I checked all the tree's, Smokey and chars kennel (just in case), nothing.

So I chilled out fed up everyone and went to the barn to get the horse feed, still no TOm....

Saturday morning comes around, Toms food is still on the table and the squirls were chowing down on it! Still no TOM!!!

I'm begining to freek out now, because no one has seen him, and no one's called, he has a collar (witht he safety release incase he got hung up) with ID tags and his rabies collar on. So its a possibility he doesn't have his collar on anymore.

ITs monday, and my honey called to say still no Tom this morning. His food was still there, squirls looking at it as usual...but no sign that Tom has been there.

I'm hoping he went out for a prowl and will be back soon....I'm really worried. Usually he's constantly under foot, follows you everywhere! Oh I hope the little fart comes back.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I am so sorry...I went through this 2 years ago on July 18th. I will NEVER have another outside cat as long as I live ever ever. I hate not knowing what happened to my Sessy (although I have a pretty good idea).

Same thing as you...Ikept leaving food out hoping I could grab her and get her inside and the food sat for 2 weeks. It's been nearly 2 years and I'm still searching.

Sessy was nearly 9 years old when she went missing. I had her since she was a 6 week old kitten. I tried to make her an inside-only cat but she wouldn't do it. She once cracked a basement window trying to get outside, used to jump at the windows and pull curtains off the wall.

I hope you find your Tom...it's so hard not knowing what might have happened to them. I hate the feeling. I used to go outside and look and call Sessy every 2 hours at night. Someone once told me the best time to find them is in the middle of the night. I did that for 3 weeks. I think a Fisher got Sessy. We have them around.

I'll send positive thoughts out for your Tom...I hate to see any cats go missing cause I know what it's like.

3. Samsintentions

yeah, he wouldn't adapt to the inside for ANYTHING!

4. nern

nern New Member

I'm sorry Samsintentions. I can imagine how worried you must be.....hopefully he'll turn up shortly as if he were never gone.
    Be sure and keep us posted.

5. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

hi i know how it feels i to went thought that december 23,2002 my bubba went outside and he would normally be back scratching at the door by no later then 9 pm ready to eat... well that night he didnt show up i knew right then something was wrong i went crazy looking 4 him he was the type that would follow me everywhere talking non stop and could not go to sleep unless he was under my covers at night.... by x-mas eve when he didnt show up i really started to get worried i put flyers up knocked on everyones door in my neighboorhood searched every animal shelter 2x a day etc.. still didnt find him i am still looking 4 him to this day and not giving up at least till i get an answer somehow...sometimes it seems impossible but i wont give up... we have kids around here that picked up one of my kittens not to long ago and took her home i got her back 3 days later after they took her to the vet and seen she had a chip in her... but.... i think that might of happened to my bubba (i hope) he was only 4 years old then....he to i couldnt keep inside he refused.....but we also had a siamese named boogie when i was lil that diaperaed 4 a year we looked everywhere and couldnt find him we did the same thing i did w/ bubba looked everywhere then one day he showed back up on our door step he was only 7.... so there is no tellin i wontgive up hope until i find an answer or my bubba and i know how hard it is... uits hard when u lose and animal at old age or when somethingbad happens but my personal opinion its harder when u dont knwo what happened to them.. so dont give up... keep us posted!!!

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I hope he comes back. I'm sorry you are so worried right now. What a history you two have together. I remember all your posts on the old forum. I sure hope little Tom shows up. Do you think his cat family is still near to your place? If so I wonder if he's hanging out with them.

7. vene

vene New Member

Samsintentions, my heart goes out to you. I hope you find Tom soon. Mary and FMgurl43 , I'm so sorry you lost your kitties.

8. mandeeee

mandeeee New Member

dont give up yet...

Oh those feelings!! I remember them well too:( Several years ago, my daughter picked out a sweet little runt from our neighbors litter. We brought him home, and he became not just our cat, but my best friend!
    Tony gave us so much love:) A very happy! and energetic kitty:) Which is why , I became concerned that after only a year he was slowing down. Alot.
    I took him into the vet some time later. And it was on that day I got my heartbroken and I learned a lesson I will NEVER forget. Tony had that disease that comes on like aids. (Some one help me with the name, I cant recall it right now, but every one should make sure their babys are vaccinated for it!!!! ) My daughter was young and really didnt understand it too well. Good thing though. I followed my vets instructions and forced the darned pills down My poor Tony. But in the end the vet told me to do what I felt was right. And so after doing the pills for a week, I stopped. It was too hard and very stressful for him. He would gag and choke on those things, and the way he looked at me that day. I told him no more pills, thats it. And I swear he understood. Over the next few days we made sure Tony knew how much we loved him, He actually seemed better ,in spirit,. and lots of talking. Finally, on the fifth day, I was in the kitchen cleaning up, when I looked out the window I saw Tony, outside sleeping on my patio chair. I walked out side and was so happy to see him sleeping peacefully. Cats love the sun you know! I picked his skinny little body up and told him he was a brave kitty. Again, I know he understood me. Then I left to do errands and pick up my daughter. We never saw him again. I hear you so well when you say its the not knowing part. I PRAY that your Tom comes home. With Tony, I did ask my vet and he said when they are ill and as bad as Tony was, it would not be uncommon for them to just get up and go into the hills to die. To save the owners from seeing them die. I am almost sure that was what my Tony did. But even after all these years it does hurt still. Please VACCINATE!! Thank you.

~M~

9. honeybears

honeybears New Member

oHH Sam :( I hope Tom comes back soon.
    I have a bell on Midas that just broke off yesterday and my husband doesnt want me to put another one on, drives him crazy - I said I always know where he is!

Tom will come back, he probably just got disoriented prowling around
    good luck
    honeybear

10. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

im sooo sorry thats a sad story.... my bubba did have his shots every year and i to know the disease u r talking about but i to cant think of teh name right off hand... even though my bubba didnt seem sick i still have a feeling that he might have been sick and ran off to die... its a bad thought but it does happen... but even if he did i have looked everywhere i mean everywhere 4 his body and have neevr found it and we dont really have wild animals around here sooo....not knowing is horrible..... i really hope ur tom comes home.....but u didnt mention about him being sick or anything so he is probably just exploring seeing whats out there.... he might have just lost his track... there r alot of stray cats in my neighboorhood and almost everyone that lives around here leaves food outside 4 them sooo.... good luck

11. Samsintentions

Found TOM!!!!!

He's next door at an elderly lady's house. She brought him inside, (knowing it was our cat!) Her husband just recently died (2 months ago) and she's there by herself. I catch her at our pasture fence every now and then feeding my horses carrotts, which is ok. She's asked before. But she's got my TOM! I don't kow. Granvel and I were talking about it and I guess if it makes her happy and he's happy there with her, what else can I do? I can't just go over there and take her company. I just hope to god he's not acting the way he did when we tried to house break him!! ie peeing on stuff and pooing in the recliners!!! Not to mention the howling all night long.....

What should I do? I mean, I rescued Tom and he's been a great outside cat (since he wouldn't adapt to the inside) and never left the yard, we have no snakes, mice....ect....
    And I enjoyed him running up to me every time I steped out side... Really missing it. I just wish she would have told me. I know she's old and maybe off her rocker a bit since her husbands passing, but GEEZE!!! Its my cat for crying out loud, I was worried sick! I had posters everywhere, asked about him, and not to meantion, he had a collar with an ID tube on it! (and a bell!)

Needless to say, When I saw her take him outside with her. He had no collar on. So I don't know if she tookit off, or he lost it. (it was a snag proof collar so its possible it could have caught and broke off)

Granvel said to leave him be, but am I horrible for wanting him back?

12. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

well...he is YOUR CAT - can you offer to maybe adopt one for her at a shelter as a gift? Take her and tell her to pick out a cat and you'll help pay the adoption fee as long as she lets you have your cat back....you've been so worried over Tom's disappearance - I would at least make sure she realizes he does have a home.

13. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

What great news that you found Tom! What a fantastic feeling you must have felt when you saw him.

Don't feel horrible for wanting him back. Sounds to me as the woman next door is lonely and needed Tom as a buddy for a few days. Your Tom probably gave her much joy. She definitely should have called you though.

If it were me I would talk with her and say it's ok for the cat to come for a visit, but she can't do what she did again. I would also want to know what she was feeding him for past 3 days.

I am so glad this story ended happily......

14. Samsintentions

WEll obviously she's been feeding him really well, he looked like he'd gained weight. (which is good)

I don't mind him being over there during the day when we aren't home, but I would like him home when we're home. You don't think that would put to much stress on him and he won't know who his family is do you??? I know animals that live at "homes" often bond to everyone, and don't know who they belong to, they are just "there".

Granvel just say's I'm selfish and if he's happy and she's happy, let them be. He follows her everywhere in the yard and they go back in together. Its like he really likes her! He hated me in the begining, and tolorates me now, but he didn't even come to Granvel, and Granvel was his BIGGES buddy in the whole world!

15. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you need to do what you think is right for Tom...if you think he's happier now being your neighbor rather than your cat maybe you should go over and tell your neighbor as long as she takes good care of him and gets him vet care he's hers. But I'd let her know where he came from

16. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Sam :D great news

wow, she must be going thru a difficult time since she knows that Tom is your cat and made no effort to bring him home.

one thought
    I dont know the background of Tom, sounds like a recent addition to your family? can Tom stay with her, is he happier there being an only pet maybe. But still you have to think is she taking care of him, since she basicly catnapped him, that would make me nervous

2nd thought like you said, Tom is your cat, and comes to greet you, I know the feeling, last night when I drove up, there was Midas out front and came running up to the car to greet me. Can you talk to her and offer to take her to the shelter to get a her own cat?

And you like you said Tom does not like the indoors, hopefully he is not destroying her house!

honeybear

17. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Yeah! Tom is alive and well! :eek: That's great news. I think you should still talk to the lady and let her know it's your cat and that you had put up posters everywhere and had been looking for him. I would also let her know (if you decide to let her have Tom) that he doesn't like to stay indoors. My only worry is that a cat like Tom who loves the outdoors will be kept confined indoors and be miserable. I like the idea of letting Tom come and go from her house to yours. I also like the idea of getting her another kitty. However, she and Tom seem to have a special bond going. I'm just glad Tom is okay. If you are worried about losing Tom forever to this lady, just let her know Tom is your cat, but you are willing to share him with her. That way it's left opened ended. Meaning that Tom has two homes and you can still take him back in the future if Tom wanted to come back. In the end the decision is yours to make.

18. Samsintentions

Thanks Chessmind....I guess I can share! What the heck, if it makes her happy, and him!

19. vene

vene New Member

:eek: Yeah! I'm so glad you found Tom. I'm sure he'll be so happy to be shared by 2 people who loves him! :lol:

20. nern

nern New Member

Im glad to hear that you found Tom and he is okay. :eek: