1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Toys!

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by pitzerlover, Apr 1, 2004.

1. pitzerlover

pitzerlover New Member

Has anybody found any type of plush toy that lasts more that 15 minutes? I know about the indestructaball, and we have one that we keep outside. All of our dogs really like to play with the plush toys, but I am always brought either the squeaker or the face of some helpless stuffed creature that never had a chance. I have tried the hard rubber giggle balls that make noise, but they were always hidden from me so that we can play with something else. ](*,) What do you guys use for interactive play?

2. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Harley's new favorite toy is a rubber ring. You can play tug with it, or toss it like a frisbee. She hasn't even touched her destructaballs since. Its is a softer rubber, but Harley has not eaten it yet, and we leave her alone with it all the time. I bought one of those noise balls too, but Harley hated it, it just rools around and makes weird noise, its not something you can play catch with, so, it sits in a corner now.

I boutgh Harley a "Brain teaser" toy that's plush, but she preferred to rip it rather than be mentally "stimulated" by it. It was a plush bird house that comes with 2 plush birds and 2 different holes in the house. You are supposed to show your dog you putting the birds in and then they will pull them out and so on, Harley just grabbed the whole thign and ripped it. Curt just laughed at me. There wen t $20 bucks. At least she had a good 5 minutes with it. :)

3. Walt

Walt New Member

With out knowing anything about your dog this site may give you some idea's. http://www.k9toolbox.com/

However no TOY is ever going to hold a dogs interest very long. With out YOU behind the toy it simpley becomes another object around the house.

4. pitzerlover

pitzerlover New Member

Walt, I think you misread me. I asked about toys for interactive play, meaning I'm playing with them. The only thing my girls do without me is eat a jumbone.It's like..... this is Lady without a toy:
    [​IMG]
    This is Lady with a toy:
    [​IMG]

hope that works, I don't know about the new way to post pics.

5. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

hehe Pitzerlover, too funny. Harley is quite the opposite, and without her toy to occupy her, you should see some of the stuff she gets into. Last week I went downstairs to put clothes into the dryer, she had jumped up and pulled the whole box of dryer sheets onto the floor and was ripping each one in the crease. Not eating it, just very carefully ripping one sheet, then the next. It is so hard to discipline a girl that is rolling in dryer sheets with daddy's boxers on her head. ;)

I would try the rubber ring. I have a blast with Harley and it.

6. Walt

Walt New Member

OOps my bad :mrgreen:

Well in that case I would recommend a "Spring Pole" there easy to make and there a great workout for your dog.

Gusto my AB can tug for about 30min b-4 he lets go,This pic is just me hand tugging with him
    [​IMG]

Sultan my APBT is good for about 45min to 1hr
    [​IMG]

When the weather breaks I'll takes some pics of them both doing some hang time :D

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Walt,
    HOw do you make a spring pole. I really wanted one for Harley last year but someone talked me out of it saying that if the dog hangs on too long it can rip their teeth out. Is this true? I wanted to make it so Harley could still touch the ground with her back legs. Is this possible or does it have to be up higher. Anyway, any info or a link to a site is appreciated.
    Thanks

8. Walt

Walt New Member

As far as loosing teeth go's my boy's never lost any yet however I could see it happening though if your not carefull and if you use the wrong kind of tug. I keep there paws on the ground, Its a better full body workout ie. neck, forarms, shoulders, chest and hind end.

When rais the tug so just the front paws are off the ground it makes them work the torso.

When there hanging in the air its all grip.

I do a little hang time with then once in a wile just for kicks but I'll be the 1st to say its not to smart mainly because my boy's are so heavy and if they come down wrong they could injure there hind legs.

I had a link to a (how to biuld a spring pole) site but I can't seem to find it but as soon as I do I'll post it for you.

9. BLACK LABEL

BLACK LABEL New Member

10. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

HOly crap! I'v never seen a dog run up a tree like that before. Unfortunately, I don' thave any trees in my back yard, so that wouldn't work. That was pretty high up, Harley is very clumsy an I would worry about her hurting her legs, so I would definately make it much lower than that. Thank sfo rthe video it was cool though.

Walt - if you find that please post it that would be great. I got some info from True_Pits on some weights that Harly could do at home too. Might start her on it this summer. She has such a string pull drive, she would love it!! Too bad she has a strong dog drive too otherwise we may be able to join some of those comps. ;)

11. Walt

Walt New Member

That was a nice clip BLACK LABEL,

Yo Bully I got you covered, I posted the question on a couple of other working dog boards im going to check for replys now BRB.

12. Walt

Walt New Member

13. goob

goob New Member

If your dog likes stuffies, you can go to goodwill or the like and get bags of old stuffies for a couple dollars, pull off eyes, nose, ribbons, etc that your dog might remove and eat, and let them have at it. It's cheap, but you do have to be careful they don't eat any stuffing, if they do that (ours pull it out, then spat it on the floor, but I watch closely just in case). There were some kevlar dog toys out a few years ago that I think you can still find on Ebay that are supposed to be pretty tough, though not indestructible. You can also use old jeans or pieces of burlap to make tugs with.

Re: springpoles, you have to be careful with how they're made.... if you use a spring, it has to have a safety cord so the dog won't come crashing down if it breaks, and won't get slapped across the face with the spring. I've also heard that the ones with a tug just hung off a tree branch often don't have enough give, and the dog can hurt themselves fighting the tug, so I guess that would be something to consider if you chose that route.

You could also try a flirtpole, which is basically the doggy version of those toy-on-a-string cat toys. You can use PVC pipe, bamboo, or similar for the pole, and pretty much anything you want for the lure. You use it similarly too, drag it along the ground, flip it around in the air, etc, and most dogs with high prey drive go crazy for it. Ours is a 5 ft length of 3/4" PVC, with 1/8" nylon cord ran through it, a large washer tied in the end so the cord won't pull through, and about 6-10 ft of cord hanging out the other end, to which the lure is tied (I use a piece of leather, cheap, durable, and makes a bit of a flapping sound which drives them nuts). Here's a picture of ours (pardon the obviously NOT pit bull there :lol: )
    [​IMG]

14. jao_apbt

jao_apbt New Member

This couldn't be more true, about letting them hang. I get people asking me all the time why my boys don't just hang from there springpole. It really does give a good full body workout if you have it at the right height. I let my boys hang every once in a while like you just for the laugh. Check out the little vid of my boy burbon, it may take about a minute to buffer, be patiant.
    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4065eb99_f3 ... ABcZOpBZTZ

15. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Thanks for the link Walt. I may get started on that very soon. What do you think would be best to use to build it. Just a large piece of wood stomped into the ground with another piece over?

Goob, I like the prey thing you built. That could keep Harley busy for hours.

Jao, I am onna look at you movie later.

Thanks guys!
    Here's a pic of Harley
    [​IMG]
    YOu ca go to www.picturetrail.com/bullylove1 if you want and there's a couple more.

16. jao_apbt

jao_apbt New Member

Here are some plans that I drew for somone on another board. All the wood is 4X4's. You could use 6X6's if you want to really beef it up. Dont laugh at my drawing, it was a five minute job.

[​IMG]

Joe

17. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

JAO! Thanks so muchfor that drawing. Trust me, its better than I could ever do. I going to print it off, and take to the store with me. I appreciate your help. I am going to look at your vid. right now.

18. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Jao, the link says bad gateway, do you want to try again?
    Thanks

19. jao_apbt

jao_apbt New Member

I am glad you like the drawing. I forgot to mention that you have to concrete the 12' 4X4 2" in the ground. If you take the picture to the hardware store they should be able to help you out.

Here is the video again, it will only work if you have msn account though. It should load pretty fast.
    http://groups.msn.com/PitBullWorld/msgattachments/3212

20. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

That's perfect because we are putting a cement pad in our back yard for parking next month. Geez, I may have jsut planned this out perfectly.