1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Urban Carnivore

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Walt, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Walt

Walt New Member

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I looked on your link for "Urban Carnivore". I'm always looking for better food for my dogs. I'm a little skeptical about this.
    Domesticated dogs have evolved over the years from being "wild" canine wovles. Besided, wild canine animals life expectancy is a lot shorter than domestic dogs. They are more humanized and need diets that adapt to those needs. Besides, I can't imagine my dogs eating this with a side of broccoli or green beans. Too much prep time involved. There's plenty of good dog food out there to go to all that trouble. Besides, what's the difference betwwen that and raw hamberger?

3. Walt

Walt New Member

4. nern

nern New Member

Walt, I beleive a few people have mentioned using this on one of the other forums I frequent. Sorry, I don't recall what was said about it though.

5. Jas

Jas New Member

I've heard great things about them. Diet Looks great to me. Nice variety of foods. No antibiotics or hormones - I like that.

Probably a bit more expensive than if one was preparing their own (I didn't check out their prices)

but 2 thumbs up :wink:

6. Walt

Walt New Member

I think its a good program as well but stupid me I didnt bother to find out where they wer located, turns out they are in Canada wich would push the cost of there product out of me price range.

The feed I currently use http://www.bravorawdiet.com/index.html is great but lacks the variety that this Co. offers but it will have to do until something better comes along :)

7. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Walt: Read your link on the BARF program. A tad more practical. I guess I've fallen to the convenience of packaged food. Also I like to spoil the dogs by giving them tasty food. They pretty much made it simple by laying out the weeks menu. Still, there's prep time involved to make a weeks supply. I would just have to do it and see how long it takes. I would like to run it by the vet and get her opinion, also. I thought some grain, like rice, was essential. I don't know about the meat bone and cottage cheese for a meal. My dogs eat together but I would have to separate them if they have bones. But I think this diet would be less expensive than what it costs to buy a high quality dog food. THANX!

8. Walt

Walt New Member

loves-da-pits,

Im not completly sure of what your saying! :shock:

But maby we should just say To each his owne and leav it at that. :idea:

9. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Walt: I know what you're saying. The neat thing about this board is to discuss, agree, and disagree. But anyway about food. The Bone And Raw Food is really worth considering. But on the other message board you dirrected me to a product called "Solid Gold" Hund-n-Flocken and implied it was a good product. I found a distributor in my area that carrys it, but if you think it's not adequate, I'll scratch that idea and pursue the BARF. Just curious about the "Solid Gold". THANX!

10. Walt

Walt New Member

No probs loves-da-pits,

Dont miss understand me If you preffer to feed kibble Solid-Gold is the best there is in my opinion.

If you have a over wieght to a fit dog Solid-Gold is top of the line however
    If you have an under wieght dog it wont help you, Its much to clean for that.

My dogs tend to run on the lean side because of there activity level. And I had a hard time puttung muscle mass on my boys with this food. But it kept then nice and fit looking and there energy levels wer still high enough to get them though a good training session with out them kongking out on me.

For example: Tomorrow we will go from my house to the park and back wich is about 8.5 miles round trip. I will be walking and both of them will be pulling a wagon loaded with 4 50lb sand bags for a totle of 200lb.

Thats just one day's training for us and it is for this reason I switched to an all natural diet for them. I fed Solid-Gold for yrs with out a hitch but I felt that my boys have gone as far as they could go on kibble. And in order to get to the next level of conditioning they would need something more.

OK Ok so im a fanatic :)

11. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Walt: Yes, you're a fanatic, but aren't all of us bully lovers? Reese is VERY lean, Grace is very stocky, she may have a weight problem some day. May have to put on separate diets. My dogs care and diet is very important to me. Wasn't trying to undermine your natural diet. I think it sound very efficiant. I'll do a little more research and asking questions. Always appreciate your opinion! You're pretty much right on. THANX!

12. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Well, all carnivors need a source of real meat. We're human, and omnivores which means we eat both meat and plants....does that mean we should all stick to the "prefab" food that they make? NO we're gonna eat what we are craving and drivin to eat.

Dogs and cats and whatever animals should be doing the same. Eating foods they're supposed to eat. Meat, and whatever else.....
    Dog food can be nutritional, but not what nature intended.

13. Walt

Walt New Member

That's basicly what I was trying to say Sam. But I geuss I do go on sometimes #-o

14. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Try beef. I've found it to be the easiest and safest to feed. (chicken, the whole salmanella (sp) thing.....)

Plus the fat content and protien is excellent. And don't fall for the whole Pure ANGUS beef crap. 95% of the meat advertised as PURE ANGUS BEEF, isn't angus at all, Trust me I KNOW! All beef is ok. Only diffrence is some breeds have better marbling than others.

Feed raw, or sere (like I do just a bit to get the bloody taste out). I have the belief that it'll make them want to hunt more than they already do.
    But don't cook it. It takes out all the nutrition.

Good luck!