1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Varied Diets

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by kem, Oct 20, 2004.

1. kem

kem New Member

My bird will not eat any fruits or veges. I know that he has to get a varied diet but I don't know what to do. I've tried to leave some fruits and veges in his food bowl but he won't do anything but beak it. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi the more you keep putting them in the more tempted he will be to try them.
    I usually place carrots and apples and things like that through the bars as this seemed to tempt mine to eat them patience is the key, But if you still cant get them to eat it there is an alternative which you can try, EMP or CeDe egg food which is designed for hand feeding and weaning of chicks you can give this to your birds and it is full of all the vitamins minerals amnio acids and stuff the birds need to keep them healthy but this should only be given to the birds every other day or so.

Also i find my birds love cucumber and seedless grapes better than anything else.

mike

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

My budgie Kiwi doesn't like to try anything new. I started out putting in little sprigs of millet spray and when he figure out it was ok to eat I gradually replaced them with different fruits and veggies.

4. kem

kem New Member

Thank you both for your help. Aqueous- Boots luuuuuuuuuuvs spray millet! He just can't get enough of it. But when I try and put in other things, he'll touch them with his beak and then won't go anywhere near it afterwards. Should I try putting it in more than one day? Mike- I put vitamins in his water. But I know that it isn't enough. I've tried grapes but I have not tried cucumber. Thank ya both (again) for your help!

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI any fresh fruit and veg u put in the cage should be removed a couple of hours later if not eaten as it spoils and can make the bird sick.

I never put vitamins or anything in the water as it makes the water go funny and can make the bird not want to drink.

Providing birds eat and drink well and have a mineral block and cuttlefish bone then there is no real need for any suppliments.

Good luck hopefully he will learn that fresh fruit and veg is good for him

Mike

6. kem

kem New Member

I take out the fruits and veges evey two hours. Boots still drinks the water when I put vitamins in it and I change it 3 times a day so that it doesn't create any residue. He definately doesn't mind the vitamins. Thanks again.

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Instead of putting the fruits/veggies in his bowl you could buy him a clip that you put on the side of of the cage and clip the fruits/veggies on to. That is the only way I get Kiwi to take them. He won't take any food from anyplace else except his bowl and the clip.

When I got the clip I put a little sprig of millet in it and of course Kiwi couldn't resist it so now I think he has the idea that whatever goes into the clip is safe to eat. I would suggest if you do this start out with the spray millet in the clip for a few days and then replace it with the fruits and veggies. I would start off with small pieces at first. I think seeing a whole baby carrot for the first time was a little tramatic for Kiwi, he still wont go near them.

8. kem

kem New Member

This weekend I'm going out for food and other bird supplies. I'll make sure to get a clip and try it on him. Thanks for the help! :)