1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Well Buster is again having health issues...

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by HDrydr, Jan 18, 2010.

1. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well we've been monitoring Buster's liver enzymes over the last 4 months....well they keep climbing. And he looks like he is retaining a ton of water!! His belly is huge!! So He is currently getting a UltraSound to see in his belly. My guess is liver disease secondary to the long term Steroid use for his Addison's Disease. He has been placed on meds to help his liver but they don't seem to be making a difference.
    We hope that whatever it is will be easily treated. He's such a great dog!! Anxiously waiting for the call from the vet!! I want my big boy back home!!

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well thankfully the news is good so far!!

Buster's US showed that his liver is slightly enlarged but seems to be working ok. No masses anywhere!! (still awaiting blood test results). So in an already thinning haired dog he now has a shaved belly!!!! He barely had any fur there!!! poor guy!!

The blood tests should be back within the next few days to see how everything else is doing.... Awwww he had a "senior" blood panel drawn.....

He's still at a higher risk of inflammatory issues, diabetes, liver disease secondary to the steroids, and Addison's disease.

We also think that he is drinking excessive water behaviorally... He gets "stuck" obsessively drinking or does it to feel full..... afterall he is boxer/lab..... :mrgreen:

All in all good news for Buster and our family bad news for the checkbook!!!! OMG!!!

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Blood tests point towards Cushings Disease secondary to the steroid use....so we are attempting to get the Cushings under control by decreasing the steroids but not aggravating the Addisons Disease that needs the usage of Steroids.... trying to find the delicate balance so right now we are trying to only do the steroids every other day..... I think it will work because he is already taking the lowest dose possible anyways.... we'll see we have to closely monitor him for any issues with stress and his Addison's...if so we have to give him a dose of Steroids right away...or he could go into an Addisonian's attack.

ugg really???? He's worth it but really????