1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Wet Babies....

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

So I get home last night and there's a dog in my driveway laying in an ever so flooded puddle. I'm thinking Oh no. A dead dog, someone has dumped a dead dog! So I get out of the truck, (ruining a good pair of pumps) and the dog looks up at me and runs off. (scared to death!) And I caught out of the coner of my eye as I'm watching her run off (with relief that she's not dead) a movement in the water. There were babies!!! One was floating, obviously dead from drowning, and five squirming around!!!!

I gathered them up and put them in my shirt (now ruined!) and the dead baby. I buried him in the rain, under my rose pland next to Gris's grave, hoping he'd look over this new loss. I put them in a box on the back porch, cleaned them off and watched as momma was pacing outside the yard gate. Once I got them dried and the placentas off the rest of their little newborn bodies, I opened the gate and in she ran. She's soooo wild. SO I left her for a bit to get reaquainted with her babies. I came back outside with a bowl of canned food, some gravy and kibble. She sat about 10 feet away and watche intently as I rechecked all the babies. Beautiful dog. She's about 15-20 lbs. Maybe a terrier/heeler mix. She cant be over a year old. More than likely she's been a stray her whole life and just ended up at my driveway. I don't see how anyone could have handled her. IF they did, I'd like to know how!!!! She acts like a coyote, never saw people in her life!!!! But there still theat puppy inquisitiveness and curiosity in her!

So About 10:45pm last night I hear this squeeking and crying. Its coming from under my floor!!!! She had successfully pulled a chunk of siding off the house, and moved the puppies under the middle of the house. SOOOO when I get home, I've got to climb under the 1" tall hole, and get the little buggars out.

Oh....I think I've figured out how to catch the female. I'm going to put a large live trap at the opening of the hole, and catch her as she comes out.
    I'm taking the momma and the babies in the morning to PUPS. We have a new foster that is a retired lady who used to breed rat terriers. She lives alone, and has all the qualifications , love, time and money to try to tame the momma, Plus she's got a wonderful Whelping kennel!!!! I love the set up there. I'm taking my mom's digital tonight to take photos of them, Ratigan, and the other guys. I'm going to send them to Jamiya so she can hopefully post them for me.

Oh, I tell you..... OH and not to mention I had to pull a calf last night too!!! ONe of the yearling heifers went into labor and just gave up.....Luckily it was a small baby and poped right out!
    So I'm tired today, wishing it would quit raining, and have a headache....BC powder is my new best friend!

2. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Holy smokes Sam! What a freakin' crazy night!! I was proud that I mustered up the energy to go the the gym. hehe I dont know how you do it some days.

The momma is probably pretty happy to have stooped at your door step. It crazy to think that a dog couldbe a stray their whole life. Imagine it surviving a year?! That's crazy!

I'm glad you have a new foster mommy. You could use a little break, even if it is only 20 minutes!

3. Samsintentions

I don't really know. She does have some very strong hunting instincts. I saw her this morning when I left chasing a squirl. She's still very much a puppy. Just by watching her out the kitchen window, she plays with herself, chases squirls and just plain acts like a puppy!!! Her poor ninnies are soooo full! She's got 8 working nipples as far as I can tell and only 5 pups. I spotlighted them last night underthe house, and she was feeding them. SO thats a good sign. I just hope they didn't get too chilled yesterday being born in a puddle of water! B.J. The lady thats picking them up, called me this mornign, she's coming tonight to help me get them out, and she's got a vet aptment 1st thing in the morning. Granvel said she went under the house this morning about 8am, so he put the trap at the opening. Its the only way out, so she has no choice. He put a bowl of water and kibble in the other end to keep her somewhat happy while she's in there. He's not coming home until 1pm today, has to run errands, but My M.I.L. is going to check on the trap in an hour to see if we caught her.

OH I wish I was home!!!!!

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Oh Sam, not again, well at least mom and pups are in good hands.

Texas must be floating away! every morning on my news they talk about and weve had another 4 inches of rain.

keep us posted on the little guys

honeybear

5. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

"(ruining a good pair of pumps)"

Sam--- I think you need to give up on wearing the good pumps--- With all you do I think you need either track shoes or army boots.... I'm not sure which!! :lol:

6. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

hehe pam: Nice observation. I too think Sam should throw away the pumps too. Birthing a cow or whelping puppies in them is probably not the MOST comfortable. heh at least you are a fashion forward woman!!

Sam: Tell your boss its Friday and you need to go home. Perhaps it will work like a charm. Either that, or he will tell you not to come back. :oops:

7. Samsintentions

Oh I'm leaving early today. He doesn't care. I had to come in. I had my month end reports to file. Ugh...

Yeah, I have to wear really nice stuff to work. But its friday, so jeans and a nice polo and tennies are my wardobe today!! Yeah!!!! Being the buisness Manager, I don't have a choice but suits, skirts, and heels!!! he he he... I used to never wear that stuff. always jeans and tee's and my boots..... now I'm cityfied! grrr....

Momma said momma dog is caught and not liking it. But she's got good food and plently of room in there. SO when i get home I'll turn her into the quarentine kennel, and get the pups out and in there with her. Thenits off to bleach everything!! I tellya, I need to take out some stock on bleach. I probably raised it a billion!!!!

The five pups as far as I could tell were brown and one white one with red ears!!!! two boys and three girls. The one that died was a brown boy.....
    Yall will love their little bodies They're sooo tiny!

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It sounds crazy....and I wish I could do it! I think I need to move out to the country. Oh yeah, and become independently wealthy. Errrr, and I have no idea how to do all the things you do. Are you taking apprentices?!

You know, it might be a good "learning experience" for my kids to come help you for a week and see what it's like. :)

Jamiya

9. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Well gosh, I can't believe it. You just deserve a metal or something. I think someone dropped her there. You think the water in the hole was her water breaking? Or was it raining?

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Yeah....why would a dog have babies in a puddle? Do they usually do weird stuff like that?

Jamiya

11. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Oh hell ,I am laughing like a loon at work again! Why, in the name of all that's holy, would any of us be SHOCKED :shock: that even a dog would know if it was in trouble and needed help it should go to sams! In fact, sams, don't be surprised if you see me laying in a puddle at the end of your driveway waiting for you to take care of me! I nominate you for the Nobel Puppy Prize! If I win the lottery (of course, this is with the understanding that I need to start buying tickets!) I will build a shelter in each of your states to be run by you guys! sams- you rock! (phrase borrowed from 3 yr old)

12. Samsintentions

Its flooded at my place, and well everwhere for that matter. We've gotten a total of 11" of water in 5 days!!!! I don't know if they dropped her there or if she just ended up there.

NO it was poring rain when i found her and she was laying in a puddle of watter. I know she just had the pups, they still had their placentas on them....

I'm hoping she is a stray and just not used to people, I hate to think that she's a severe abuse case. She' doesn't act like it though.... She just acts like she doesn't know what I am....

Sure Jamiya, send em down. I hope they like shoveling poo and cleaning stalls, and kennels, and working really hard!!!

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Well, they don't like working hard - they are kids. But that doesn't mean you can't make them do it! It builds character....

Jamiya

14. Samsintentions

and muscles!!!!

15. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Naybe the stray is not used to other people. Hopefully she will come around. This is just such a sad case. What a beginning life for these pups.

16. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

LOL!! Me too!! What do I have to do to get down there. I will see if Curt will buy me a 1-way ticket to Sams house!! I am sure it is on the map by now. hehe. If you get home one day ot see soemone with long black hair in the driveway in a puddle, don't panic it'll just be me. Gimme a towel and some food. I should "come to" in a couple of hours. :D

17. Samsintentions

OH lordy!!! I should start the "SAM'S Hopeless Hotel!!!!!" he he he

18. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Well, in my case, maybe Sam's Hapless Hotel!

19. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Pardon my expression here but when it rains it pours! Girl it never lets up on you does it!

20. nern

nern New Member

Wow Sam! Never a dull moment, huh? :wink:
    I'm glad they turned up in your driveway so they could get the help they needed.