1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What Fishes Can I Get?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by pauldredge, Jan 24, 2005.

1. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

i have got a tank that is 60 gallons. im just wondering what fish i could get for it which are of a reasonable size. atm ive got 2 kissing fish, a plec, 5 minows, 3 black ones lol, 2 fat ones lol, male guppy and female guppy, 5 tiger fish, 2 cat fish. i want some fish that are a lil bigger than these and would make my tank a lil more exciting lol.

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

your tank is full i think anyways kissing fish or kissing gourmai's can reach a size of 8 to 12 inches and with out know the proper names for your fish we can tell for sure

3. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

well im new to all this fish stuff as ive only had my tank a few months, i want to get another plec and one more cat fish.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

We really can't advise you on fish until we know exactly what you have already. If you can post pics, that would help us identify some of your fish.

Like Fish Addict already said, kissing gouramis get around 8" - 12" so just those 2 will completely fill up your tank. And if they're both males, they could kill eachother (the "kissing" is actually fighting). So you'd probably be better off if you returned at least one of them.

Specifically, we need to know what types of catfish you have (there's litterally hundreds of species of catfish ranging from 1" to over 6 feet). Are your tiger fish tiger barbs? Your black and fat fish are the minnows, right? Are they white cloud mountain minnows? Fathead/rosey minnows? It would also help to know what kind of pleco you have.

-Chelle

5. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

ok this is what ive got

female guppy, male guppy
    3 black mollys
    5 moutain cloud minows
    a Plecostomus
    5 white cloud mountain minnows
    2 kissing gourami (shit they do fight, damn i dont wanna get rid of them i well like em, they rare about 3inch long atm)
    5 tiger barb
    2 corydoras (the cat fish)
    then the two that im not sure about, they are round sort of looking, they have got big bellies, look like they are sorta stuck up if you know what i mean (posh looking), they have mouths that sort of extend when they eat off the bottom of the tank. they have sorta got flat heads like they dont have a brain.

i will get some pics but my cam is playing up atm.

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

is this the mystery fish? [​IMG]

7. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

here are the fish i am on about

[​IMG]

8. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

they are balloon molly's

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Well, the bad news is your tank is way overstocked and you need to either buy more tanks or get rid of some fish.

If you don't want to get rid of one of your kissing gouramis, then you're going to need another tank (at least 50 gallons) for it.

You could keep the pleco and one of the gouramis in the 60 and you might be able to squeeze the tiger barbs in there.

The mollies, guppies and cories would make good tankmates. So for 5 mollies, 2 guppies and 2 cories, you would need about a 20 gallon tank.

Your minnows actually prefer cooler waters than your other fish. So for 10 of them (or is it just 5 and you accidently listed them twice?) you could get away with another 20 gallon tank (if you just have 5, then you can get away with a 10 gallon).

-Chelle

10. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

well atm all the fish seem to live well together and they are swimming around alrithe and have loads of space. maybe wen they get bigger i will have to get another tank or something but atm everything is alrite.

11. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

ok i made a mistake, my tank isnt 60 gallons its acturely 60 litres, i feel alrite prick now. so that makes my tank around 15 gallons.

my tank is 24" by 12"

atm my kissing fish are about 1.5" big at the most and the plec is about 2-3" i reckon.

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That makes things even worse. You seriously need to get rid of some fish soon.

15 gallons isn't even close to large enough for a kissing gourami (and trust me, it's easier to get rid of a small fish than a really large one) or the pleco.

Of the other fish, you could keep the cories and 6 of the minnows or 4 the tiger barbs or all the mollies or all the guppies and 3 mollies. And again, it's better to get rid of fish now while they're still small and healthy than to wait until you start having problems and they're big and starting to get sick from the effects of overstocking.

Out of curiosity, what are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte? If you don't have the tests, you should get them or at the very least take a sample of your water to your LFS and have them test it for you. But either way, I need the actual numbers. How often and how large are your water changes?

-Chelle

13. gravity

gravity New Member

I agree with chelle. Once your kissing gouramis get to be pretty big, if they live that long in your tank, you'll have problems getting someone else to take them. Once your fish have health problems, and they will in that tank, you'll never be able to find someone to take them. There's no way you can house your gouramis in that tank. The common pleco gets to be 15 inches long, which means it couldn't turn around in your tank because it's longer than your tank is wide.

You've got some serious stocking problems, but you were at least smart enough to ask. Return your pleco and get an otocinclus or two. They're great, and only grow to 2". Just make sure you already have algae growth before you put them in the tank.

Whatever store you went to when you bought these fish... you should not go to again, except to get your money back. If they didn't ask what size tank you have, you don't need to buy fish from them.

14. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

ok my ph is at about 6.5 - 7

my nitrate is at 0
    nitrite is about 5-10

i think this is right, does it sound right or have i got them muddled up?

im not from america am from england.

how big are kissing fish wen u buy then? ive never seen any over about 2" in england at all the shops ive been. plus i fort that the fish only grow to as big as the tank and its surroundings? or am i wrong on this one? at all the pet shops ive been to ive told them what ive got and what size my tank is and that and they have always been happy with it. even one of the best fish shops in england i have been to and spoke to a bloke who has been dealing with fish for around 30 years.

15. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

The kissing gouramis I see in my LFS are usually around 1.5-2".

Even if the fish does grow to the size of the tank it can't possibly be healthy for it. It would be like keeping a child in a closet and by the time it reaches 21 its only the size of a 10 year old.

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think you got your nitrAte and nitrIte mixed up (otherwise your fish would be dead).

When fish "grow to the size of their tank" it's becaue they are stunted which weakens their immune systems, causes deformities, and early death. And the reason you've only seen 2" ones at LFS's is because they are babies. Most stores don't sell adult fish.

-Chelle

17. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

whats lfs then?

ok if they are muddled then my nitrate is between 20-40 and my ntirite is near nort as its near enuff white.

18. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

LFS = local fish store

And you should keep your nitrAtes below 20 (above that and they become a lot more susceptible to illnesses). If it ever gets above that, do a water change. Another problem with overstocking is eventually, with that many fish in the tank, you're going to get to the point where you will be needing to do water changes at least every other day in order to keep the nitrAtes below 20. That's a really bad situation to be in.

-Chelle