1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what is "Green broke"?

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by Laura05, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

Can someone explain what that is.. or is it different depending on who you ask like I think it is?

2. someday

someday New Member

Green broke is a horse that as been ridden, but is not well trained. Like a horse that has 30 days riding or so..heck, I considered them green broke even past that. A horse that doesn't know it's job yet. Of course, with most horse things, other people will have other definitions.

3. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I define green broke as anything that will buck you off. LOL I guess anything that hasn't had 1 years worth of good riding and basically knows the jist of its purpose. So basically the same as someday. But like anything in the horse world, it really isn't clear. It seems the horse world is very gray at times.
    :roll:

4. blueshish

blueshish New Member

You are right. Green broke is a loose term with a wide definition. I used the term when I bought or sold a horse if the horse had been ridden at least once, had been trailered, you could pick his feet up and had been at least generally handled to where it was gentled down.

5. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

In old cowboy speak, green broke is a horse who's been ridden until he stops bucking when someone gets on him. Now days, it varies from region to region, and rider to rider. But in general, a green broke horse will accept a saddle and rider, but doesn't know much else. He hasn't been trained to take his leads, he's probably not very supple and probably doesn't rein really well. And he probably hasn't been trained to back.

You could probably compare it to a child who can read 'cat' and 'dog' and 'See Jane run' but can't yet read the newspaper.