1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What made you choose that name for your pet?

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by 3_second_memory, Dec 3, 2004.

1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i thought it would be interesting to see why you call your pets certain names etc, and i love hearing others name.

My hamster is called marble because she looks like the marble choclate.
    My BF's hamster is called midnight, because she likes dark places all of the tie, up sleeves and everything!

your turn!

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Hammy was my first hamster o I took the most non-original hamster name :cry:

Smokey was named because she was grey (the same color as netherland dwarf rabbits).

3. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

My first rat was Charlotte Rose. Didnt really come from anything, just pulled that outta the air. Everyone kept teasing me for wanting to keep a rat, "theyre ugly, dirty, etc." so i wanted her to have a pretty, girly kida name. The second was Ginger because her hood was the same color as powdered ginger. Then I got Scarlett. She was a PEW rat with bright red eyes. I almost named her Ruby, but then decided to go with Scarlett cuz i thought it sounded a little more sophisticated, plus it sorta sounds like Charlotte and i missed her. Then came Pixie, who i named before i even had her becuz i just liked the name. Then Elliott, who was named after Joe Elliott the lead singer of Def Leppard ( my fav hair band). His sister is Noni from a South African character in a movie played by Reese Witherspoon. I think the movie was "Far Away"...can't remember. My cat, Vianne, is the main character in the movie, Chocolat. I just thought it was a cute cat name. My first dog, was Marty, from Marty McFly in Back to the Future( my brother's idea). My mouse is Scout, from the book "To Kill a Mockingbird"....her cagemate was Jem, except that my Jem was a girl. Really pretty golden brown marble color. My foster Grackle was Madmardegan from the movie "Willow". My Leopard frog was Budd for obvious reasons. Wasn't feeling too creative when i named him. I think that about covers everybody :D No wait...all of my siamese fighting fish had "the" middle names. Kind of a theme i had going...Alexander the Great, Conan the Barbarian, Kull the Conqueror, Andre the Giant, Jack the Ripper, Gandalf the Grey, etc.

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

faeriedust,

Great names. I love Charlotte Rose. It sounds so feminin.

I know how you feel. I want a rat too, but until I move out I don't think it'll be happening. So many people have misconceptions about rats. I find that they're actually quite intelligent.

5. piggylover

piggylover New Member

Hmmmm... OK here we go. My cat Oreo was named because shes black and white. Her original name was Wiskers, then I found out she was a girl so I changed it to Cookie, and finally I decided on Oreo. My goodness! I'm suprised she even knows, and comes to her name!!! Anyway, my Moms cat Fluff (which I decided the name of), was named that because of his fluffy hair. My guinea pig Hairy was named that because he's hairy. And my other guinea pig is named Dawson. I saw a guinea named that and loved it, its so unique! Thats not ALL my families pets, just the ones I named.

6. 3_second_memory

wow, there are some real original names, i like oreo and charlotte rose.

My cats are called, ebony, maise and ralph.

Ebony coz shes the colour of a flat on the piano, and my rents named the other to cats.

I mane some of my fish, the best one i have is, orion my oranda, (after orions belt - he's to fat to fit in a belt) and stan my angel fish coz my BF got him for me and he said he baught me it coz he wd always stand by me.

my other fish names are just embarressing!

7. faeriedust1127

Rats are awesome. They on definitely towards the top of the list as far as one of my favorite pets. I just recently lost Scarlett to old age last week, but i still have Pixie, Elliott and Noni. The only bad thing i can say about rats is that they don't live long enough. They are so smart and clean. I always say they are like little cats with dog personalities. They are always cleaning themselves and very agile, but they are also trainable and eager for your constant attention. I think i will always keep rats, i'm totally hooked on them. You can see pics of my babies at http://www.crazycritters.zoomshare.com Rat lovers have like a whole other culture like dog lovers with shows, contests, conventions and all that. Rats Rock!

8. piggylover

piggylover New Member

Hehe, I always say that about my guinea pigs. They're like little cats, but with personalities of dogs! I'm hooked on them as well. I've had hamsters as well as guineas, and the guinea pigs win out very easily. Here is my site for Hairy and Dawson ( my pigs) http://guineapigsrock.home.att.net/ . I love them so much, they make the best pets in the world!!!!!!!

9. my rabbtis names were Missey when she was little she was like really Prissy! so then we just named her Missey, and then Bugs we named him after Bugs Bunny, lol

10. 3_second_memory

i think bugs is a cute name!

Does he have long teeth?

11. lol thanks, nah his teeth were always trimmed down (he had flavored wood to chew on) and yeah! lol, i'm planning on naming my next rabbit either babs, or Dasiy Mae, or swee pea some cute name! since ill be getting a Mini Rex next! (my other two were Mini Lops)

12. 3_second_memory

daise Mae appeals to me, for the name for your next bundle of fur, or should i say, bundle of skin.

Rex is bals arent they?

If thats the case you cd knit ita jumper with its name on!

13. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

LOL, Rex's aren't bald, thay have amazingly soft fur.

[​IMG]

14. 3_second_memory

oh i see, i got it from the rex cat, as they are bald! sorry, great offense to your poor rabbit! tell her im v.sorry, and that the pic is very cute!

15. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Actually Rex cats have hair, Sphynx cats have peach fuzz that gives them the appearence of being bald.

16. faeriedust1127

I think the word REX just refers to the curly hair. Tho in rabbits you sometimes only notice it in the curly whiskers.

17. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I think REX is for curly hair too. I know they have rex hamsters, rabbits and cats (all with curly hair and/or whiskers).

18. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

My two ferrets are Socrates and Pandora, my Gerbils Mekari and Maharet, my mouse Nyhm, my bala sharks W and The President, my parakeets Ava and Starla, and my dog Gizmo

Socrates because he was so quizzical when we bought him as a baby, so we thought we'd give him a sophisticated named, thus Socrates.

Pandora because she brings destruction wherever she goes, she has to get into EVERYTHING. And as you know about Pandoras box filled with pandemonium.

Mekari and Maharet are for the twin sisters in the book The Queen of the Damned, Anne Rice.

My mouse named Nyhm for the rats of nyhm.

My two balas were named W and The President, because I thought that the little bumper stickers were amusing. And my big bala, The President, was so regal compared to everything else in my tank.

My parakeets were named Ava and Starla, partially for the Smashing Pumpkins, partially because Ava is part of latin for bird, and Starla because she was dark blue with blue speckles on her forehead.

And Gizmo, my carine terrier, you know toto, was named for the gremlin that stayed good in Gremlins. This is because of the little tufts of fur on top of her ears.

I have more animals, but those are the only ones that I named.

19. BeatrixMom

BeatrixMom New Member

My rescue Bassets Bartley and Lyla had thier names when I adopted them. Beatrix bunny had no name when I got her from the SPCA, I called her Beatrix after Beatrix Potter who wrote Peter Rabbit. Cockatiel Renfield I rescues and he is such a kook that Renfield just fits him...

20. Blueribbon

Blueribbon New Member

My daughter ( Rebecca ) named our dog Lucky because we got her from the dog warden ( who brings in a few dog to our local pet/farm supply store ). We just happened to be in the store ( Towne & Country ) the day before the warden was to come back and pick up those that he brought to the store to be sold that weren't sold ( to be put to sleep ). We fell in love at first sight and had to have her ( we've had her for a year now so she's 5 yrs old not really sure of her birth date but we gave her the birth date of the day we got her). And our two cats that we brought in from the outside are Tiger and Tigress ( their brother and sister and they look almost like Identical twins except for their side pattern is different ) but just to look at them face to face you can't really tell.