1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

What makes white dog hair turn red/pink?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Jul 16, 2004.

1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

And how do you fix it?

My dog's hair has turned pinkish (reddish in some areas) on their belly and around their mouth. My older dog has had it awhile but now the puppy is getting it. I bathe them semi-regularly (about 2 x a month ). Just wondering why it happens and if I can get it to turn white again.

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

In my area we have red dirt which turns my husky red. Could this be the case in your area? Just wondering I am sure you would have thought of that already. Hope someone comes along with an idea!

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

elivixen what type dogs do you have? I have an AES mix and when I first got him he was all white no color at all, but it seems like everyone now and then he will get a new tiny "biscuit" colored spot on his back, but his stomach is pink, but the skin not the hair. It is weird bc most people who look at him only see white they don'T see these little patches I see! I guess I stare at him too much!

4. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Its not the dirt.

They are St. Bernards. Their skin is pinkish too. I just can't figure out why it is turning the hair pink.

5. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

it could be the dog shampoo, when i clean dogs sometimes it has a chemical effect on the fur.

6. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I know what your talking about. Light colored poodles get that. Usually starts around their mouth/face and paws. It looks like they are rusting! I've always wondered about that too. Anyone? :-s

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Hmmm. I know black cats can "rust" and also white fur commonly turns yellow-y. Could it be diet related somehow? Or try a different shampoo? Do they really need to be washed that frequently?

Jamiya

8. GinaH

GinaH New Member

My Pekingese is white on her belly and she has the same problem. But as soon as she gets a bath it goes away. So I am assuming it's just residue.

9. OneWolvesDream

white poodles go brown.lol. umm yeah look at what your dog could be doing all day that could have an effect.

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Jake my yellow lab gets this in the summer except his is a rust color. The vet says it is caused by moisture and overgrowth of yeast from being in the water so much, come winter it goes away

honeybear

11. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

OK, from what I have been able to find out.... slober & diet are the culprits. Dirt too, depending upon your geographic location. Found a cool site at http://showdogs-l.com/index.htm that gives tons of show hints and they have a section called "SDL Coat Whitener Survey Results". Some interesting (some a little frightening!) hints for keeping white coated animals white.

12. OneWolvesDream

wow, thats interesting.

13. Angie

Angie New Member

14. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I guess it could be diet with my older dog (she gets Pedigree b/c it is the only stuff she'll eat) but the puppy right now is on his allergy elimination diet (ultra expensive) so I don't know if that is it for him.

Of course we have lots of slobber but that doesn't explain it being on their belly. My older dog is not big on cleaning herself. <--- That is why she needs frequent baths. Smelly. The puppy has to get them rather frequently too b/c he is a poop eater .... a very messy poop eater (gets it all over his legs, etc).

I may try some coat whitener shampoo. But does anyone know what would happen if I get the whitener shampoo on nonwhite hair?

15. OneWolvesDream

hmm, does anyone know how well that stuff really works?

16. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

check my earlier post for that website- It gives a lot of advice on coat whitening and these are from people who show dogs so maybe they have already done the homework for you.

17. OneWolvesDream

lol, thanks.

btw can i steal ur avatar. lol. jk.

18. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I suppose I can share... the avatar that is!

19. OneWolvesDream

haha lol. but you have nothing else to share, me on the other hand i have but im not going to. lol.

20. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I called a groomer, she said most dog foods have red dye in them. When the dogs eat it, they of course pick up the dye! DUH :0010:
    Then they lick them selves, spreading the coloration.....

If your area is has Iron ore in the ground, not necessarily a large ammount, then that in turn will also turn your dogs colored.