1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

When do small dogs stop growing?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by LucyLu, Dec 31, 2004.

1. LucyLu

LucyLu New Member

My puppy is 12 weeks old and 4 lbs. Her Mom and Dad were 7 and 9 lbs. I am curious about when she will stop growing. Thanks :)

2. WinniPoo

WinniPoo New Member

LucyLu, Your right our puppies look alike!!

I read a few opinons. One says for a toy breed they are usually considered full grown at 6 months. Winnie is 6 months in Jan. she is 5-6 lbs. The breeder told me she would be 5 1/2 at the most. My vet says 6-8 lbs. Then I read when you mix the breeds they can be larger than mom and dad. who knows for sure. I wanted Winnie to stay small forever.

3. LucyLu

LucyLu New Member

Interesting....
    Lucy is 12 weeks and 4 lbs. Her Mom is 7 and her Dad is 9, so maybe she will be somewhere between??? Or maybe not....

4. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I've heard anywhere between 6 months and 12 months. My Lilly, toy poo is about 4 1/2 lbs at about 17 weeks just a bit over over 4 months. She is supposed to be around 7 or 8 lbs. We shall see.

5. WinniPoo

WinniPoo New Member

When we brought Winnie home she was 1.9 lbs, her last weight at the vets office was 5.5 lbs. She will be going again soon to be fixed and I heard that will cause the pup to gain weight also. I'll let you know new weight. It's funny at the 2-3 lb mark, my mother-in-law saw her for the first time and just fell in love with her. When we told her she was 5.5 lbs she told us we were feeding her too much. LOL I think she's big but when you think about it 5.5 lbs is still a small dog. She still small enough to carry around.

6. puppy girl 1

puppy girl 1 New Member

when will my pekingese puppie stop growing

hi there my name Elaine and i have a four month pekingese puppie named pearl who is now 6 pounds and i just wondered around what age do these kind of dogs stop growing

7. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Hi pupygirl. I think your peke possibly will get up to 10 - 15 lbs. Usually most small dogs are done growing by one year. But she maybe stop sooner. Usually 6 months to a year.

8. ShowandAgilityPaps

ShowandAgilityPaps New Member

Most toy breeds stop bone growth (height) at around 6-8 months. Sometimes it can stretch to 10 months or even a year, but by 8 months most toy dogs have reached their height. The larger the breed, the longer it takes for their bone growth to stop.

Additional muscle and fat mass will be added until they are about a year old. This is when people need to start cutting back on the food. Many dogs will gain more weight than needed because they are eating too many calories. They were able to maintain a good weight when their bodies were using up a lot of calories for growth. Once the body is done growing, it needs less calories.

9. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

I've noticed on the yorkies they have stopped at 7 months. its hard to judge how big a pup will get cause not just the mom and dad but back in the bloodline their could be a bigger dog and they can inheart it. also color sometimes. But i would guess 7 months to one year.