1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

White grime on tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Esgalfey, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

I was just wondering if there was some magical (inexpensive) way to get the grime that forms off of my tank?

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

what do you mean by grime? do you mean on the outside of the glass dripping down? is it a fresh or saltwater tank?

3. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

It's a freshwater. Like the stuff that forms when water evaporates. It's like a layer of white stuff that's on the hood and the sides of the inside of the tank.

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmm, i have no clue what that could be.....maybe a little bit of a calcium deposit? how odten are you changing the water in the aquarium?

5. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

I have to admit I had not changed it for about 2-3 weeks. :( I just changed it today and this stuff was bothering me because it will not come off easily.

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

if its not coming off that easily, it may be a bit of calcium........is it in like a thin layer or in clumps? if the thin layer, i have that too a little bit on one of my tanks here the water line is.

7. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

Yea, a thin layer but since I hadnt changed it in so long its a wide strip of it and it's annoying to me. Is there some way to get rid of it?

8. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i think the only wy is it rub it. try wetting the spot, then using an algae pad, it should take it off pretty easy

9. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

That's what I've been doing. The algea pad isnt working well. I've been scrubbing at it with the plastic of a toothbrush I'm so frustrated.

10. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmm, idk then.....if kc5gvn sees, hopefully he will post here.....he used to work in a LFS for years, so he should know how to clean it

11. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

Okay. Thanks for trying to help me. :) I do have a couple of pics but I dont know how to post them.

12. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

go to photobucket.com, create an account then upload he pics there.. then the part under the pics u uploaded that says IMG just copy/paste it all to here.

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If it's calcium deposits and you still have fish in the tank, probably the only thing you can do it carefully try to scrape it off with a razorblade. It doesn't really hurt anything, it's just unsightly. I recommend trying to keep your water level above the bottom of the top trim. That way even if you do get the deposits, it will be hidden by the trim.

If the tank is empty, you can try some vinegar.

-Chelle

14. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

Okay, thanks.

15. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

Thanks t_chelle. That'll come in handy with my empty tank and I'll try the razorblade thing with my other one. :D

~Esgalfey[/quote]

16. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

Here's a pic of the stuff on my tank.

[​IMG]

17. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

You can use a razor to get rid of it

18. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea Esgalfey, that looks like calcium.

19. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

I had the same thing on my tank. It came off when I rubbed with vinigar,
    I had to scrub realy hard .

20. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Esgalfey, What you have is calcium deposit. As Chelle said, you can use a rasorblade scraper to remove the deposit, but be careful not to put a scratch in the glass, and be especially careful around the silicone in the corners. I have never used vinegar on a tank that was running. I would be afraid of adverse effect on the fish. I have used vinegar to remove deposits on an empty tank. Once I have removed the deposits I then wipe it down with a bleach solution (about 1 capful of bleach to a cup of warm water) to remove the vinegar. After using the bleach solution I do a quick rinse out of the tank. After rinsing the tank I fill it with water and add a small bottle of the cheap chlorine remover and let it sit 24 to 48 hours to make sure the bleach is out of the tank. I then empty that water and start over with my setup. But then again, I may be a little over cautious.